Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

(When) Do you think the human race will defeat the aging process?

When will the human race defeat the aging process?

• This century, within the next 100 years

Votes: 59 32.4%
  • In the next 300 years

Votes: 35 19.2%
  • In the next 1000 years

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • In the next 5000 years

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Never, the aging process is hardwired in to all living tissue and cannot be defeated

Votes: 73 40.1%

• Total voters
What do you nuggas think about Resveratrol (found in Red Wine)?

* The New York Times has reported that a class of chemicals that could make humans live longer, known as resveratrol, is found in red wines, especially those grown in cool climates. The finding is another clue in the puzzle of the French paradox, the fact that the French live as long as anyone else, despite the consumption of food thought to be bad for the heart.

According to the report, the chemical mimics the effect of a very low-calorie diet, which is known to help rodents live longer. The report said that human life spans could be increased by 30% if humans respond to the chemical the way rats and mice do to a low-calorie diet.

Resveratrol is synthesized by plants in response to stress, like a lack of nutrients, a fungal infection or cool temperatures. It exists in the skin of both red and white grapes but is found in amounts 10 times higher in red wine because of differences in the manufacturing processes. Besides resveratrol, another class of chemical found to mimic caloric restriction is that of the flavones, found abundantly in olive oil.
----------------------------------------------
Red wine contains an ingredient called resveratrol that, in the lab, caused cancer cells to die off in an early stage of the cancer process, report doctors from the Lineberger Cancer Center in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (Cancer Research, 7/00).

Earlier studies indicate that the same substance may also protect against heart disease. In addition to red grapes, other foods high in resveratrol include raspberries, peanuts, and mulberries.
------------------------------------------
In a series of laboratory experiments, they discovered that certain types of molecules, called polyphenols, could extend the life of yeast by 70 per cent. These polyphenols are found in foods such as red wine, olive oil, fruits and vegetables. On further investigation it was found that the most potent polyphenol was resveratrol - found in red wine - which helped yeast cells live as much as 60-80 per cent longer. Quercetin, another polyphenol, found in olive oil, had a similar effect.

Polyphenols are already recognised as having antioxidant benefits and as being helpful in the battle against illnesses such as heart disease and cancer, but the new study adds to this knowledge and suggests that certain ones could have additional properties.

When yeast and laboratory worms are fed a restricted calorie diet, their speed of ageing is slowed and they have extended lifespans. It has been found that restricting their diet increases the activity of a certain family of enzymes called sirtuins. The researchers say that polyphenols appear to stimulate these sirtuin enzymes and extend the organism's lifespan. Their experiments showed that 17 molecules stimulated a human sirtuin called SIRT1 and a yeast sirtuin called Sir2.

"We think sirtuins buy cells time to repair damage," said molecular biologist David Sinclair, assistant professor of pathology at Harvard Medical School. "There is a growing realisation from the ageing field that blocking cell death - as long as it doesn't lead to cancer - extends life span."

His co-author, Konrad Howitz, director of molecular biology at BIOMOL, said,"The sirtuin stimulation provided by certain, but not all, polyphenols may be a far more important biological effect than their antioxidant effect."

Other species, such as mammals, are already known to live longer when their calorie intake is restricted. The researchers theory is that plant polyphenols may increase in response to stressful conditions and stimulate sirtuins in a bid for survival - a hypothesis they term xenohormesis.

"The sirtuin enzymes are found in almost every species, including plants, fungi and humans," explained Dr. Sinclair. "Their role seems to be to protect cells from damage and keep them alive, which results in less disease and longer life."

"Humans have seven sirtuins (SIRT 1-7) and the hope is that they also function to protect our cells and prevent disease. But it is too early to say for sure. At the very least, the study suggests a new line of research that may eventually lead to a major advance in medicine."

Although resveratrol was the most effective, Dr. Sinclair says quercetin, which is found in foods such as onions, apples, tea, berries, olives, broccoli and lettuce, is also promising. "The molecule seems to have many health benefits in lowering cholesterol, preventing blood cells from sticking together similarly to aspirin, and suppressing cancer in rodents," he explained.

"Although there is still a long way to go from simple organisms to humans, this study has brought the possibility of delaying age-related diseases with a pill to a point where we can say, as scientists, it is a real possibility. The discovery points to a new line of research into drugs that could one day make people significantly healthier in their old age," he said.

He was keen to emphasise that any work would focus on improving health, not manipulating genetics. "We will only make people live longer by making them healthier. We are mimicking calorie restriction which, in rats and monkeys, slows diseases of old age, including heart disease, osteoporosis and cancer," he said.

The next stage is to start testing on mice. If that proves successful and the mice do live longer, then Dr. Sinclair says he anticipates, "starting human trials sometime shortly thereafter."

"These findings are interesting and may help us to understand the health benefits of particular types of food. However further research is needed before we know to what extent they can be applied to humans."

Dr Rebecca Small,
associate medical director
BUPA Group

What does this mean?
Commenting on the findings, Dr. Hannah Theobald, a nutrition scientist at the British Nutrition Foundation said, "A lot more research needs to be conducted before these findings can be translated to humans, but it is an exciting finding."

"Polyphenols are produced by plants in response to attack by viruses, fungi and bacteria," she explained. "They exhibit antioxidant properties and may help protect against some cancers and heart disease. Resveratrol is found in red wine, red grape juice and peanuts, while flavones are found in olive oil."

One of the aspects highlighted by the research, and perhaps the factor most applicable to people today, is that it adds to the idea of consuming a Mediterranean-style diet - which tends to be rich in olive oil, red wine and fresh fruits and vegetables.

"There is a plethora of research suggesting that Mediterranean-type diets are associated with lower rates of chronic disease, such as cardiovascular disease and certain cancers," said Hannah. "This research adds further weight to this and offers a new potential mechanism whereby diets rich in olive oil, fruits and vegetables, cereals, grains and moderate amounts of wine may offer protection and increase longevity."

Similarly, Belinda Linden, head of medical information at the British Heart Foundation, said, "Mediterranean diets can be healthy as they include a high level of fruit and vegetables and we also know that moderate alcohol consumption (1-2 units per day) may have a protective effect against coronary heart disease."

However, she warned, "We also need to keep in mind that, while it is nice to enjoy a drink on occasions, too much alcohol can have an adverse affect on the heart."

Amanda Wynne, spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association, said, "It will be interesting to see more research in this area, especially on humans."

A C T I O N P O I N T S
Aim for a healthy lifestyle, with a balanced nutritious diet and plenty of exercise.

Enjoy alcohol, such as red wine, on occasions, but avoid drinking too regularly or binge drinking.

Avoid taking supplements where possible, and instead aim to obtain essential nutrients from a healthy diet.

What does this mean to me?
With no quick-fix anti-ageing pill available and no guarantees that one will become available in the future, preparing for old age and limiting the risks of related illnesses largely comes down to looking after your health.

"There is good evidence that a diet based on lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grain cereals is conducive to good health and will reduce the risk of developing cancer and heart disease in the longer term," explained Amanda Wynne.

"Light to moderate consumption of wine does confer to some protective effect against diseases such as coronary heart disease," she added. "Advice is, however, to keep within the sensible drinking guidelines, so no more than 2-3 units a day for women and no more than 3-4 units a day for men. Have some drink-free days too, and avoid binge drinking."

Although some supplements containing resveratrol and quercetin are available, "at the current time we cannot recommend taking supplements as there is no evidence that these will be effective or safe," advises Amanda. "Dietary strategies are definitely the best approach."

Summary
The American longevity research is certainly proving interesting, but as it's still in its early stages much more research is needed before it will be clear whether or not this can be applied to humans. In the meantime, it does highlight the benefits of a Mediterranean-style diet - something that can be applied to life today.

With Biotechnology and Nanotechnology advances, Id say withint the next 20 years we will have seriously Slowed down aging processes. Then when Nanotechnology matures. Combine this with the biotech, We will basicly become immortal.

Our health will be Constantly monitored by Computer chips. Diseases such as cancer wont even get to the stage where you feel side effects. It will be detected At very early stages.

Also we have robotics... and AI. Guys there is a lot more going on in science than most of you here realize... We do know that it is possible with Gene expression to get mice to live Equivelent to 500 human years. Its definitly within reach, id say before 2050 we will have totally conqurered and aging and be able to reverse it.

Over population you say? i'll say what ray Kurzweil said. Have you took a train trip around the country lately? There is plenty of space left yet. Also With Space Exploration and private enterprises now looking to explore space and build hotels in space. Colonizing of the moon to start before 2020. There is Enought * SPACE * for us to fit in... lol plenty !

I would recommend a book to you guys, called Fantastic Voyage : live long enough to live forever. Ray kurzweil

brilliant book, good health tips.

just stay off the McDonalds and you'll be fine !

listen to this , it is right on subject
http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2004/07/20040712_b_main.asp

Kurzweil is a legendary dynamo of human innovation. He's founded nine businesses in everything from speech recognition to artificial intelligence. Now Ray Kurzweil's restless mind is focused on human life.

Immortality is just around the corner, according to Kurzweil. The super-charged convergence of biology, computing, and nanotechnology, he says, is about to radically extend human life. And it may be just a matter of a couple of decades, not centuries, before the human lifespan becomes essentially unlimited-- not 100 but many centuries.

Tune in to hear techologist Ray Kurzweil talk about his how-to-achieve the unlimited human lifespan guide.

Gel said:
It's already been done.
They aren't going to tell the world are they, there'd be riots in the streets demanding treatment!

I hate conspiracy theories! Christ, the president can't even keep it a secret when he gets a blow job -- which only 2 people knew -- and you think there are 100 mpg carbs, solar powered cars, cures for cancer, aging and AIDS that we don't know about.

I wish there were a cure for stupidity. I'd buy you some. :rolleyes:

Curing human aging will not happen in our lifetimes in my opinion. I would imagine most of you, like me, were born in the early 1980s, so most of you are probably about 21 years old. Most of us will likely experience a moderate increase in lifespan but not immortality by any means.

That said, I do believe life extension will happen, and I would not be surprised if we begin to see the average age of death go up slightly.

The major hurdle over which we must leap is that we do not have a solution to cellular senescense. Contrary to popular belief, modern medicine has not done anything to stop this process. Instead, medicine has only palliated symptoms associated with aging, which in turn has allowed humans to remain alive longer in the latter parts of senescense. What many people do not realize is that even some 10,000 years since the end of the pleistocene, human cellular aging continues to begin at about age 35. The distinction between then and now is simply a function of palliation. We have a large body of interventional methods that allow particular risks for CVD and NIDDM to be significantly reduced, but this is not changing anything at a cellular or molecular level. Also, individuals then experienced increased levels of exogenous mortality which ultimately resulted in shorter lifespans. Today, some of this is much more diminutive.

Many individuals on this board thus far have pointed to research that deals with cellular aging including but not limited to telomerase length and its relationship to programmed cell death. Others have pointed to pq28 as a source. I am well aware of this research; however, I do not believe that the current approach is holistic enough to tackle a process as complex as aging. Scientific research today deals with signalling pathways and transduction mechanisms which are infinitely miniscule. Without some mechanism by which to collectively understand the aging process, it could take millenia before the process is fully understood. Imagine yourself trying to decode the Egyptian hieroglyphics without having discovered the Rosetta stone. Would this have even been possible? The human genome was a major step; however, so little is known about what the exact synergistic effects of many genes are that it is difficult to imagine the process of human aging, which likely involves several thousand processes, being untangled in a few decades from now. Unless science can think more collectively and holistically, I do not foresee this problem being solved anytime soon. There is often little collaboration on the part of scientists about how each of their work could be integrated. I have only seen one professor at Cambridge who has taken a more collaborative approach to aging.

Clearly, gimics like rHGH and other steroids are not a panacea and will not stop celluar aging much to the chagrin of many individuals who use them.

Turtles do live to be 200 years old, largely because they naturally age slowly. The reason for this is, of course, because they have limited exogenous mortality, which evolutionarily has benefited them tremendously in terms of cellular senescense. However, there is no possible way for us to limit exogenous mortality to the point where we can effectively and "naturally" increase human lifespans.

Even so, I believe that in the next few years we will see major advancements in the development of technology, either nanotechnology or otherwise, which will help biomedical engineers extend lifespans, but I doubt it will target cellular senescense. I suspect lifespans could reach 100+ in our lifetimes as an "average" age, but I do not expect that our lives will be able to be extended much beyond this. The pace with which scientific research happens is often largely a function of funding, and although CA passed $3 billion to fund stem cell research, I do not believe this will be the "key" to cellular aging.

Nonetheless, I do not believe this is a source of pessimism. Instead, I was rather shocked to discover how many people on this board truly wish to live indefinitely, an idea that is personally disturbing to me on many levels. Obviously increased lifespans to an extent would be enjoyable, but indefinite life spans are probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Good post and points you made.

First of all we all realize that its likely that aging can be stopped in living things.

by blocking certain genes in MICE we have been able to make them live equivilent to 500 Human years. So we do know its possible to slow down aging, right?

I Definitly would like to have a CHOICE, when i want to die? does that sound fair? Or mabey i would like to be frozen for a while and brough back in the future. like a long sleep or something.

I personaly do not believe in a god, therefor i plan on doing what i can to try and live aslong as possible. I am 20 years old and i believe we may be the last generation to die or we may be the first immortal generation, either 1. Science is advancing fast, and its accelerating.

Im gonna make a prediction that within 10years from now, we will be able to stop or reverse aging in MICE and about 15-25 years later we will be able to stop or significantly slow aging so much that it will give science enough time to give us results.

I would recommend a book that just was released. its called

Fantastic Vouyage: Live long enough to Live forever
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579549543/103-7950421-7741408?v=glance

Its a very good book, If any of you pick it up, let me know what you think

ok, i jus read that in about 300 years the life-expectancy will be 100 years and the planets population will stabilize at around 9 billion, what ever that means.

BackDoc said:
This is fascinating stuff to me. If programmed cell death can be delayed, then that would at least give the individual time to make decisions regarding life expectancy in conjunction with lifelong goals. It seems like overpopulation is going to be a real issue in the near future (perhaps for our children). If we have longer lifespans then food shortages, etc. might be more realistic. To combat that (as well as to possibly extend the lifespan perhaps) it might be interesting to find out the hormone cascade responsible for mammal hibernation...that way we could all live in an overpopulated world yet still be able to maintain food supplies etc.

Maybe it's too much sci-fi though :)

What a closed minded point of view. Humans are the most valuable resource on the planet, and the more of them there are being productive the sooner we will be able to expand to be interplanetary and interstellar.

Overpopulation is for abortion clinics what Valentines day is for Hallmark.

i dont think it will ever happen. but in a 100 years time i recon we will be living till we are 200

Top Bottom