Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What you think about this routine?

JeSt3r

I kinda pieced together a routine from my old one, the BFS routine and the 5x5 routine...imput please =)

All reps listed below for 5 sets

Mon. - Chest/Arms

Flat Barbell Bench (5 reps)
Incline Dumbell (5 reps)
Flat Dumbell (5 reps)
Curls (8 - 10 reps)
Military Press BB (5 reps)

Tues. - Legs/Abs

Squats (5 reps)
Leg Press (5 reps)
DeadLifts (5 reps)
Power Cleans (5 reps)
Calf Raises (8 - 10 reps)

Wed. - Back/Shoulders

Dips (8 - 10 reps or AMAP)
Military Press DB (5 reps)
Standing Rows (8 - 10 reps)
Shrugs (8 - 10 reps)
PullUps (8 - 10 reps or AMAP)

Thurs. Chest/Arms

Repeat Mon.

Fri. Legs/Abs

Repeat Tues.

AMAP - as many as possible

This is geared towards football which is why i chose to repeat chest/arms and legs/abs...since i feel they are more likely to help in football....Tell me what you guys think..;)

I wouldn't do squats and deads on the same day...too much work.

Also, put power lifts at the beginning of the workout (cleans, snatches, etc...). Then move to compound movements (ie, don't put pull-ups/military press at the end of the workouts).

I don't really see the point of doing flat dumbell and barbell in the same workout.

Also, try to do more closed-chain movements, especially with your upper body. Try weighted push-ups instead of flat presses...

Someone on this forum other than me actually used BFS? Good to know. How did you like the routine, man? How long did you run it for?

Since im in high school thats the routine our coaches wanted us to run if we didnt really know much about weight lifting...I liked it up to the 2nd week...then it got kind of sluggish...

and thanks for the comments BD kamara for joo =)

Maybe it`s because I don`t know what BFS means... but you have Dips for Shoulders and Military Press for Ticeps??? Of course those muscles get hit, but they would`nt be a first choice in many trainer`s routine.

Hmm...

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you doing 5 sets of more than one exercise/muscle group?

If so, only do 5x5 for one move per bodypart, like flat bench. Do the other exercises for 2 sets of 8-10 reps.

Also, doing a 5x5 for each bodypart twice a week (or thereabouts) seems like a bit much. If you could progress on that it'd be okay, but I fear you'd burn out too quickly. Instead, I'd train 4x week, but only hit everything once in that period. Something like:

Mon: Legs/abs
Tues: Chest/bis
Wed: off
Thurs: Back (do deadlifts on this day)
Fri: Shoulders/tris

As far as what's most likely to help you in football, pecs aren't a top priority. I know it seems like a bench press simulates pushing a guy, but the majority of your power comes from legs, hips and your core; they should be far and beyond your primary emphasis.

Squats and deadlifts are your best friends there :) Shoulder and triceps strength (which bench presses serve quite well, esp. powerlifting bench), along with an insanely strong grip, would probably be next.

In your shoes, I might also consider a routine more like B-Fold the Truth's. He's a successful pro strongman, and his routine is geared toward strength and athletic performance. Look for him here--you can't miss him :)--and at ClintDarden.com.

Top Bottom