Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What makes an athlete in your mind?

Anthony Roberts said:
I don't think the authors (for the most part) are lame...most are friends of mine, actually.

Did you read my interview with Dave? It's called "Table for Two"? You'll probably enjoy it...Dave's a good friend of mine..

Cosgrove is another dude that's really cool...I try to correspond with him about business whenever I can...

Eric Cressey is one of my buddies too...I talk to him a couple of times a month...he and I were at the same table when Biotest took the authors out to dinner, so we hit it off right away...Robertson too....he's great to drink with.

Me and Thib wrote a book together, and Gentilecore (Cressey's roommate) is cool also...Jimmy Smith is writing for an upcoming magazine I'm senior editor of.

I'll do a search for "Table for Two". Dave Tate is one of my favorite writers. Gets straight to the point and great information. I would love to train with him. Cressey was my on-line trainer for several months. Just taking a few months off from powerlifting.

I agree with you on the other authors. I like Cosgrove, Gentilecore and Thibs too.

Just wanted to stick up for what is good about t-nation. It has given me the support I have needed when my own team mates have failed me.

claire said:
I'll do a search for "Table for Two". Dave Tate is one of my favorite writers. Gets straight to the point and great information. I would love to train with him. Cressey was my on-line trainer for several months. Just taking a few months off from powerlifting.

I agree with you on the other authors. I like Cosgrove, Gentilecore and Thibs too.

Just wanted to stick up for what is good about t-nation. It has given me the support I have needed when my own team mates have failed me.

I'm not bagging on the Authors or even the owners or members of T-Nation. The only thing I really didn't dig about the site was that lame "T-Man" shit and all the attitude.

Here's my Dave Tate article:
http://www.anthony-roberts.com/dave_tate.html

badgergrl said:
In terms of what makes a sport a sport.....I think you have to consider why you do it.
I mean, people ask me all the time why I want muscles or why I want to be ripped, and I explain to them that it's not about vanity or even about attractiveness.
So, why do I do it?
For me, it's a hobby, a competition (with myself and others)..... A SPORT!
Plus, there's an objective and goals to it. It certainly requires skill-both mental and physical.
I really disagree with the whole judges=not a sport thing.

In my mind, a sport contains both an active offensive (point scoring) and active defensive (keeping the opposition from scoring) component, while at the same time having an objective scoring system (6 points for a touchdown, etc...).

Also, I suspect that there should be a physical component which would make use of strength, skill, speed, etc...

Bodybuilding has subjective scoring (judging, not refereeing), and has no defensive component. I also can't make the argument that it's got a physical component which displays something like skill, speed, strength, etc...

I think something without all three criteria is still a competition (like gymnastics), but not a sport.

None of this is to say it's not a worthwhile pursuit, I just think that all worthwhile pursuits shouldn't be considered sports just because they require physical training.

Also...you play a sport. Do you play bodybuilding? You actually don't "bodybuild" when you're on stage...you do something completely different from the training you endure to get on stage. Bodybuilding is the name of the training, appropriately, "Flexing" or "Posing" would be the proper name for the competitive activity.

Top Bottom