Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What exactly IS the connection between carbs and a pump in the gym?

SteelWeaver

Is it that all the glucose (glycogen?) running around in the bloodstream gets whoooshed into the muscle cells with the blood, then sucks in water along with it?

OK, graphically displaying my ignorance here, but whatever. Anyone know?

And BTW, is a pump actually necessary for hypertrophy?

good question....imo the "pump" is most important for growth as it stretches the fascial muscle sheath to allow for easier actual muscle growth.

Food for thought:

Roid users never lose ALL gains and thay can regain VERY quickly.....most androgens lead to massive water retention and massive pumps - somehthing to think about.

A well hydrated or volumized muscle cell is a happy one. Seems to favor protein synthesis. We know from animal models that stretching a muscle also causes hypertrophy.

Glycogen storage in the muscle pulls water in (1 g glycogen = 2.8 g water). Thus, a muscle that is filled with glycogen is going to appear fuller and harder. Moreover, if the concept of a volumized cell = happy cell, then it may well enhance protein synthesis.

The muscle pump during exercise is a little different. When you complete a few hard sets two things happen. One, you force fluid out of the vascular compartment into the interstitial space between the muscle cells (muscle pump). Two, metabolites such as La, K+, etc accumulate as a result of muscle contraction causing an osmotic gradient that favors fluid movement out of the vascular compartment into the muscle. Thus, the pump. I think the reason those on a low carb diet don't experience the same pump may have to do with less metabolite accumulation (less substrate available) and that the muscle itself is glycogen/fluid depleted and even with the fluid shift, doesn't become as engorged.

If most of you checked your Hct before working legs, then about 10 sets into legs when they are really pumped, you'd find your Hct increased considerably.

W6

Thanks guys. Nice explanation W6. Makes sense. I've personally found that my best pumps start at around 230g carbs per day, a bit less on smaller muscles. So I don't get them much when dieting.

What's Hct?

No good pumps for me these days -- only 1-2 sets per bodypart --and still growing (I think :) ). I'd say at the very least, growth is not dependent on the pump.

Top Bottom