Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Was getting good Squat progress until Squat Cleans...

Aquatic Mammal

Howdy everyone!

I'm a 42 yo lifter/runner and have been at it since I was 18. As a young idiot, I was like many other that primarily focused on Chest/Back and Arms with legs sprinkled in and being genetically skinny -should have been squatting to get those toothpicks respectable enough to wear shorts from the beginning.

I've also been an outdoor, concrete runner for many years in which my knees have taken some damage. Recently discovered that I'd killed my arches so the orthodic supports have really helped out there.

So basically I got into squatting more at around the age of 30 and have been told my form is solid by more elite types tho I always shot for 315 too fast and it was always a struggle and my depth could only hit parallel at best -an ugly ugly rep with knee pain. That said, I started on the Sheiko routine about 6 months ago and worked my way up to a PR 405 breaking the crease. Lots of stretches and auxillary work kept me pretty much pain free and I felt like I could definitely keep getting stronger -until I started messing around with olympic stuff...

Like many, I got interested in all of the Crossfit stuff and started training more Overhead and Front squat -that latter of which I could 1rm 305 breaking the crease. I forgot to mention that while doing Sheiko -going ultra wide stance was the only thing that guarenteed a knee-pain free workout. Back to Olympic -I started trying the Squat Clean at relatively light weights -135 area -but the speed and depth of the drop have literally wreaked havoc again on my knees (and Split Jerks outright kill my shoulder in a deep fatigue way which has killed my Bench). I still warmup and stretch alot -but my powerlifting style drop descent felt much more controlled as the Squat Clean is like an immediate drop to an ATG range - is it possible that maybe i'm just to old to start that type of training given my years of bad knees?

Hopefully my fragile ego can handle the answer :worried:

Also just to add, almost all of my gains in terms of size (more interested in strength/power) go to my glutes. I have decent upper body size, skinny legs anda serious squatters butt -dont know how to make hammys/quads sore...Even SLD's (315 for 5x5) go straight to me bum.

Top Bottom