Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Triathlon Training

Rex

Starting next week I begin the midnight shift, which keeps me out of unit PT. I saw a brochure for a Sprint Triathlon, .75km swim, 22km cycle, and 5km run, decided it is something I'd like to compete in, and since I'll be PTing on my own I have nothing holding me back time wise in order to train.

I realize that I'm going to lose a significant amount of weight with all the cardio I'm about to endure. I figure I'll drop down to roughly the amount I weighed after I finished bootcamp, which was about 145. I'm at 165 now.

My concerns are how much weight training should I add in, and how often. Also will my body be depleted of any extra vitamins that I should take a vitamin supplement?

Any help is appreciated.

We have a lot in common. I am also in the military, so I know what you mean about restraints on your personal training so that you can do unit PT, not to mention meet miliary wt standards. I also do shift work, as a matter of fact, I don't do unit PT at all these days so I am enjoying the training.

To answer your question, I don't know a lot about tris, but my wife has done a few. She alternates days of lifting, running, swimming and biking and then puts them all together just once or twice prior to the comp. She does fine but having a good bike seems to be a major factor.

Longhorn85 said:
We have a lot in common. I am also in the military, so I know what you mean about restraints on your personal training so that you can do unit PT, not to mention meet miliary wt standards. I also do shift work, as a matter of fact, I don't do unit PT at all these days so I am enjoying the training.

To answer your question, I don't know a lot about tris, but my wife has done a few. She alternates days of lifting, running, swimming and biking and then puts them all together just once or twice prior to the comp. She does fine but having a good bike seems to be a major factor.

Thanks for the input. Unit PT does suck a lot when the unit's standard isn't always causing you to exert 100%. The sometimes slow pace of the runs is enough to make my knees hurt for days on end. I don't have a problem when I can move at my own pace.

I hope the Marines will provide a way for me to borrow a bike for the race. E-3 pay doesn't allow for much to be spent, let alone cash to be spent on a road bike; however, Marines PCS all the time and sell stuff pretty cheap. The 2 year mark is August which is a pay raise for me. :) 2 down, 2 to go.

K for serving.

Top Bottom