Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Top 10 Ingredients For Muscle Retention

Glutamine is good if it's Glutamine Peptides. Go to www.anabolicfitness.com (AF store) to get some.

Once again, PROOF is needed.

Because of the way supplements have been marketed in the past (read:through bullshit claims), consumers are skeptical by nature, and a helluva lot more educated.

Gimme the factual evidence that a product does what it's claims, and my wallet opens.

And I mean studies, not "Hey! Joe said this shit is the fuckin' bomb!"

If not, it can collect dust on the shelf. ;)

Heres the bad side to glutamine i found posted by a Dr... which to believe.. :

By Russell L. Blaylock, M.D.
Advanced Nutritional Concepts, LLC.

Dr. Robert Crayhon posted comments on this site indicating that I was terribly mistaken in my caution concerning the use of glutamine and that he had consulted several "cell biologists" who were also concerned with my statements on glutamine safety. In fact it was stated that I apparently did not understand that glutamine was not an excitotoxin and was not converted into an excitotoxin.

Of course, I never stated glutamine was an excitotoxin, but I do state that it is converted into the excitotoxin glutamate within neurons. Numerous recent studies as well as Siegel’s Basic Neurochemistry textbook emphatically state that the major source of glutamate is from glutamine in the brain. Normally, when the brain finishes using glutamate for chemical communication between brain cells at the synapse the glutamate is taken up by surrounding glial cells and changed by the enzyme glutamine synthease into glutamine, where it is stored.

The Problem With Excitotoxins

The glutamine is then transported to the neuron and by the enzyme glutaminase, it is converted to glutamate--the potential excitotoxin. I say potential because unless it accumulates outside the brain cell it is harmless.

This is the major source of glutamate within the brain. Excitotoxins are usually amino acids, such as glutamate and aspartate. These special amino acids cause particular brain cells to become excessively excited, to the point they will quickly die. Excitotoxins can also cause a loss of brain synapses and connecting fibers. Food-borne excitotoxins include such additives as MSG, aspartame, hydrolyzed protein and soy protein extract.

In two recent studies it was found that the amount of glutamine in the brain could predict the brain damage seen both in pediatric brain injuries and brain damage secondary to seizures. Adding large amounts of glutamine to the diet increases significantly brain levels of glutamine and, hence, glutamate. Another study found that by adding glutamine to the diet of animals exposed to another powerful excitotoxin called quinolinic acid, brain cell damage was increased significantly. Quinolinic acid is known to accumulate in the brain in most cases of viral brain infection as seen with HIV dementia and viral encephalitis.

Glutamine and Liver Toxicity

Individuals with liver toxicity tend to accumulate ammonia in their blood and brain. Until recently, it was assumed that it was the ammonia that caused liver disease-associated brain injury and that glutamine was protective.

Newer studies indicate that actually it is the glutamine that is causing the brain’s injury. Increasing glutamine in the diet would significantly aggravate this damage.

Free Radicals in the Brain

Glutamine accumulation has also been found in Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease and high levels of brain glutamine have been associated with a worse prognosis in Lou Gehrig’s disease. Likewise, recent studies have shown that high brain glutamine levels increase brain levels of free radicals and impair the ability of brain mitochondria to produce energy. When the brain produces low energy, excitotoxins, such as glutamate, become even more toxic. It has been shown that the reason for glutamine toxicity under these conditions is because it is converted to the excitotoxin--glutamate.

Glutamine and Multiple Sclerosis

Of particular concern is the finding that people with multiple sclerosis have increased levels of the enzyme glutaminase (the enzyme that converts glutamine into glutamate) in areas of nerve fiber damage. High levels of glutamine in the diet would increase glutamate levels near these injured areas magnifying the damage. It has been shown that excitotoxicity plays a major role in multiple sclerosis by destroying the cells (oligodendrocytes) that produce myelin.

Glutamine and Pregnant Women

Another area of concern would be pregnant women. Glutamine passes through the placenta and may actually be concentrated in the baby’s blood, producing very high levels. Glutamate plays a major role in the development of the baby’s brain. Excess glutamate has been shown to cause significant impairment of brain development in babies and can lead to mental retardation.

When to Use Glutamine

The major use for high-dose glutamine would be to repair gastrointestinal injury. In such cases, I would recommend short-term use only. Those with a history of the following conditions should avoid glutamine, even for short-term use:

Stroke
Neurodegenerative disease
Pregnancy
Malignancy
Recent vaccinations
ADHD
Hypoglycemia
Autism
Multiple sclerosis
Other neurological disorders

Glutamine has recently been shown to produce extreme hypoglycemia, even more so than leucine, which is known to produce fatal hypoglycemia in infants.

The reason Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is not seen with glutamine challenge is that the glutamate receptors in the lungs and esophagus are stimulated by glutamate, not glutamine. The glutamine must be converted first and this occurs primarily in the brain.

The only safe situation for glutamine use is in the vigorous athlete. Glutamine is used as a muscle fuel, so that vigorous exercise will consume most of the glutamine before it can accumulate in the brain. I would still avoid long-term use in high doses. I would caution readers to avoid excess glutamine, especially in the above named conditions and situations.

This is the notes from Dr Robert Crayhon that the above article refers to at the beginning:

Notes On Glutamine by Robert Crayhon November 1, 2002

After reviewing the literature, I am unconvinced that high dose oral glutamine supplementation is toxic to neurons in healthy persons. When you overconsume protein, the body will make too much glutamine in a vain attempt to rid the body of nitrogen, and that is the glutamine that can be toxic to the nervous system (that is what is in the literature). But oral glutamine does not have this effect.

Carnitine supplementation (3 g/day) is an excellent nutrient way to rid the body of excess ammonia, so if you are concerned about excess ammonia leading to neuronal toxicity, I would use carnitine with glutamine. There have been liver failure patients, by the way, who have had their ammonia levels drop markedly on carnitine supplementation and one of them walked out of a hospital in Germany when she was expected to die. Such is the power of carnitine to lower ammonia!

Keep in mind that you need to consume over 250 grams of protein to get into a state of ammonia toxicity if you are an adult that weighs 70 kilos, so I don't see how 3-30 grams of glutamine a day could push one over that 250 gram mark. A very high protein diet combined with a great deal of glutamine supplementation could theoretically be a problem, then, but I have yet to see anyone do that. Also, in all my lectures, I recommend what I learned from Judy Shabert -- that if you are using a lot of glutamine, you need less dietary protein. She wrote and excellent book on Glutamine I highly recommend.

Also, the idea that supplemental glutamine is all metabolized to glutamate is simply not the case. Have you ever seen a patient with MSG sensitivity? The symptoms these patients have are the symptoms of excess glutamate: headaches, nausea, dizziness, and this is something I have never seen nor seen reported with high dose glutamine. The body is very good at controlling the Glutamine-Glutamate pathway, which requires B6. I have had many discussions with cell biologist PhDs about this idea that glutamine turns to glutamate at will, and they all say that this is a misstatement, and are particularly critical of Russell Blaylock for making this error in his book.

After all, why doesn't the glutamine all just turn to GABA? Then glutamine would not over excite your neurons, it would put you to sleep. Glutamine clearly does neither.

So is this article saying I should be taking all of these supps. I already use creatine and my protien, but Im confused if I should be taking glutamine, chromium, caffiene before I workout and all the rest. Nobody seems to agree.

Conflicting evidence on chromium, and although many, many people believe glutamine works, there's no studies on oral supplementation.

Burn patients in ICU getting intravenous glutamine doesn not convert to oral supplementation for athletes ;)

IMO, stick with creatine and caffiene. The facts and science are behind them.

MikeMartial said:
Conflicting evidence on chromium, and although many, many people believe glutamine works, there's no studies on oral supplementation.

Burn patients in ICU getting intravenous glutamine doesn not convert to oral supplementation for athletes ;)

IMO, stick with creatine and caffiene. The facts and science are behind them.

Yea its a tough call to decide. I myself take powder glutamine and i can tell you i don't notice any noticeable difference of any sort while on or off..

I was hoping i could find more info on it but that was the best of it. If anyone else has more info plz post it up.

Top Bottom