Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Value of Whey

dogboy

I always read in the magazines that whey protein is not that good of a protein. Mainly they cite the "fact" that it is a "quick" protein that leaves the body fast. This doesn't make sense to me because when a protein comes into the body it gets broken down into its amino acids. Which are then added to the amino acid pool in your body. I am assuming that Whey has the 8 essential aminos. When these amino acids are added to the pool, why would they leave the body faster just because they were broken down from a whey protein molecule? Amino acids are amino acids. I would like your input on this. THNKS

The absorption rate of whey isolate is much faster than other proteins (casein for instance has a very slow absorption rate) which means that it doesn't take very long for your body to digest it....although as you point out - it all ends up as glucose as far as your body's energy needs are concerned.

It's just a question of how long it takes for digestion and metabolism of the protein to occur. Whey isolate happens to be an excellent protein choice post-workout when you really want a fast absorption rate.....

I agree with styrc.

They have done a study: frequent feedings.

People received the same amt of protein, but in three ways:

1 Large feeding of whey

3 Small feedings of whey

1 Large feeding of casein

They observations is that the large feeding of whey and subsequent fasting led to a high initial blood amino acid concentration, but this tailed off and actually led to negative protein balance after 6-8 hrs.

The casein had a slower increase in blood aa concentration, and actually prevented a catabolic state.

The Frequent feedings of whey actually had the best results. While not showing hallmarks of anti-catabolism, it did have a sustained high aa blood concentration.

Take home message:

Depending on how often you eat, whey is good and may be the best. For a night time-before bed protein shake, use a casein
based one.

NFG

Top Bottom