Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Techniques of Integration

What's your favorite technique of integration?

• Change of variable (u/du substitution)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Integration by parts (udv formula)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Trigonometric Substitution (where x=a sin u)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partial Fractions (where you decompose the denominator)

• None, I am/was a fruity liberal arts major and don't know Calculus

• None, I'm a dumbass and don't know Algebra, much less Calculus.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
No---!! NOT A BIO MAJOR!! YOU CAN'T BE!!

(I would have thought you were a physics major from your handle but... apparently not..)

What's wrong with biology? :confused:

I want to be a doctor.

They make you take Calculus I and II for Biology at my school. I don't know why, but it's an easy 'A'.

Math, physics, and engineering majors can complain all they want, but they don't have to take Organic Chemistry!

Enrico,

Hmm... ok... if you are going to be a doctor I guess that is acceptable... :D

I don't really have anything against bio majors in particular... it just seems rather detached from physics... chemists and physicists are more or less in sync... we do pretty much the same things... maybe if I just took the biophysics course I might be more inclined to accept your kind? :)

Yes... all those premed people have to take math and physics courses too... Apparently there is a section on the MCAT on physics so... well.. more like device physics for medical instrumentation...

but.. still.. that handle... it is definitely a physics handle.... or, so I would imagine??

Nothing but respect from me Big Sky (does that handle have anything to do with Montana?)... after all, engineers are people who couldn't hack it as scientists :)

After I graduate and make a little money (hopefully) I'd like to go back and complete a physics degree.

Max Power:

... my handle is rather random... um... just that we don't get to see a blue sky around here.... maybe 3-4 monthes of the year it is sunny and somewhat warm...

Actually, um, I don't think most engineers ever wanted delve in pure science to start with? (well... the applied physics department was in the college of engineering so...) They are more intrigued with the practical art... and... I have soon realized I am no good at that so... We are very lazy I think... we just right equations and then we are satisfied... Not that that's all we do but... I think we are more or less satisfied at that point... The experimentalists are probably more well versed in engineering and details of the real world ...

It's good that you want to get a degree in physics :D but... I sort of doubt it will help you (for some mysterious reason a BS in applied physics is more attractive to companies that is a BA in physics... although we took more or less the same courses?? :confused: )

Yeah, I was kinda stretching with the Montana thing (specially since it's Big Sky Country).

The quote about engineers wanting to be scientists is from a book (don't know which one) where the main character comes from a very intelligent family and became a sort of black sheep because he became an engineer instead of a research scientist. I thought it was interesting so I kept it with me.

I don't plan on using the Physics degree to get more money... I meant I want to finish up here, get in the job market and make some money. Then take some classes to get the Physics degree for myself. Sort of to prove that I can (since my intro physics courses were probably my most difficult classes).

Do you mind me asking what you're doing with your degree (what job market)? Seems like a really interesting field.

Max Power,

Oh, no no... I am not working!! I am still in grad school!! (though many of us often wonder why we even bothered... :( it would have been so much easier to get a job... no homework, higher pay, no work on weekends, and only 8-9 hours of work on weekdays...).. But my friends who got a job... work in... well... those tech companies? (Atlon, IBM, Intel, motorola...) They were mostly engineers... Aa... the PhD's in physics... end up working in National Research Labs, or R&D in companies... I guess.. what you do sort of depends on what area in the field you concentrate on..? But... there are other random jobs... The financial industry tries to recruit a lot of physics/math majors and... they might even pay more... (they don't care if you don't know anything about the industry at all... I always thought it was mysterious... those recruiting people coming in the physics department to get prospective graduates...)

Oh, also... as for physics being hard... I would have thought that engineering is much harder in that... it is sort of an.. art? Physics is an inherently easy subject... there are only like...2-3 sets of equations and 4-5 postulates and... everything else follows... it is not nearly as complicated as Biology or Engineering....

Did yall ever take organic chem? I think that's like the dumbest course ever...all these stupid reactions to memorize.

Maybe my next poll will be asking people what their favorite alkane is...mine is butane cuz I can use it to light my cigarettes! :D

At my school the intro physics professors are pricks... they fail a HUGE number of students (currently 80% in my class) which is probably why I think Physics is so difficult. I've had a graduate physics student say that he actually failed electricity and magnetism (with my prof).

I have found my physics classes to be much engineering to understand. When a teacher is telling about a property of materials or the design of a bridge, it seems pretty logical. Mechanics is pretty easy (specially since I'm a mechanical engineer) but things like magnetic fields, current, etc... are harder for me to see. Lucky for me I only have modern physics left.

You say theoretical physics is just setting up equations... I could get used to that :) I feel very strongly in the notion that if you understand something, why spend the menial time plugging in numbers... let math majors or computers do that :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom