Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strength-Endurance

zipzopzippity

I've always thought about this - You start working up your bench, deadlifts, squats etc and over-tme you get some high #s. Then go step into a sport like basketball, surfing, boxing and you realize all that strength you have vanishes.

Nothing more discouraging than having a sick pack and benching 315 5 times with ease, but then playing a pick up game and looking like an out of shape goof ball. So, I did some reading about strength - endurance training. And what comes to mind is that typical comparison I'm sure you've all seen - a marathon runner vs sprinter.
bodybuilding.com/fun/wiggy1.htm

I want to be ripped, strong and functional in an athletic environment outside of the weight room. This link here looks into this with a training regiment. What do you guys think about this subject here? I've done crossfit before, but f*ck crossfit lol. I think strength-endurance can be achieved where you look damn good and you got athletic ability - like body and capabilities of an olympic gymnast i guess. Thats an entire different arena, but my point being is that those sons of b*tches got sick packs with 18 inch arms and also got amazing athletic capability in strength-endurance.

I've always thought about this - You start working up your bench, deadlifts, squats etc and over-tme you get some high #s. Then go step into a sport like basketball, surfing, boxing and you realize all that strength you have vanishes.

Nothing more discouraging than having a sick pack and benching 315 5 times with ease, but then playing a pick up game and looking like an out of shape goof ball. So, I did some reading about strength - endurance training. And what comes to mind is that typical comparison I'm sure you've all seen - a marathon runner vs sprinter.
bodybuilding.com/fun/wiggy1.htm

I want to be ripped, strong and functional in an athletic environment outside of the weight room. This link here looks into this with a training regiment. What do you guys think about this subject here? I've done crossfit before, but f*ck crossfit lol. I think strength-endurance can be achieved where you look damn good and you got athletic ability - like body and capabilities of an olympic gymnast i guess. Thats an entire different arena, but my point being is that those sons of b*tches got sick packs with 18 inch arms and also got amazing athletic capability in strength-endurance.

Build up your body to a size you think is acceptable say if you
re 6 foot 220, 10% BF just do short bouts of HEAVY lifting doing 5x5 with big lifts, eat big, and just work on your cardio. Do like 20-30 minutes of mod-high intensity cardio to work the lungs and make sure You EAT EAT EAT to maintain your muscle. you can be big and still have a large amount of endurance if your diet is on point.

Yeah i'm considering two different approaches. In the article link i posted, the author discusses what u r saying, lifting heavy with short rest between. I've also considered taking his advice and customizing it around super sets, or doing 10 pullups, then benching 85% of max for 3 sets, then 3 sets at 85% max squat. rest 60 seconds, do it again.

THe other one is, keep lifting just as lifting. Heavy, in the 5 - 10 rep range, but with longer rest between sets than above. Then for the endurance, HIIT type things on the off lifting days like sprints or whatevz. Interesting topic for me tho, ill look into more later, leeeeep time

pick what you want to excell in.

now genetically you may excell in one sport but not in another so you have to be practical. notice there are a handful of professional athletes that played 2 sports. Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson come to mind. but then you have the greatest NBA player ever in Mike Jordan who had to play in the minors in baseball. so its not easy to be great at 2 sports. repetition and practice is important. if you want to be great at X sport you need to play it often, not once a week or once a month. and you can't go into it exhausted cause you did 400 pound squats the night before and your ass is sore and can barely walk

Ofcourse no gym routine can replace a sports itself, I am just looking at compound movements that all athletes use to supplement their athletic performance. Football, basketball, whatever players all use a squat routine in addition to a ton of field time (practice) but they may go about it differently.

The article I posted compares your typical bodybuilder or powerlifters approach to a squat session vs a ball player. He states that they all value intensity, or heavy weight with lower reps, but where the bodybuilder or powerlifter catches their breath between sets, the ballplayer may utilize shorter rest, super sets, cirquit training etc so their bodys obtain explosive strength endurance vs just raw strength.

So, I'm debating whether ill try this superset/circuit approach to my workouts, or just implement more HIIT training on my offdays. I wonder if there is any merit to strength endurance. That is, if someone squats 5 reps 6 times at 315 lbs, will they have lesser performance on the court versus someone who squats 3 reps 10 times at 315 pounds, but with less rest between sets.

Top Bottom