Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Steve's guide to starting your own organic veggie garden

you are correct, about the fence.
installed fabric mesh around the bottom of my fence, had a deal at manards, and it was a brown/gray so it doesnt stand out. Also added a few predator urine "bombs" (cotton in 35mm film canisters)
The two guys that got sniped wouldnt leave the yard, left the gate open and they decided to stay. (my guess is they were hiding under shed or deck)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EliteFitness

Is is the fence I put in so the darn rabbits don't take over. Kinda overkill but, who cares. I was going to till it up. Then they are calling for snow next week. Crap Steve you got me wanting to plant. Oh it is 15x20 with built in sprinklers. Fun

nice, my wife would flip if I put up something like that. Have to balance the effective with the "eclective".
Built in sprinkler is awesome, im going to just run some drip hose through mine.

i already have a fence up, nothing will come into my yard unless it wants to be killed by my dogs. and then on top of that i put in an extra fence around for the critters that can climb. problem solved.

i've also noticed in the past tomatoes, cukes, melons are attractors of bugs, so i am not planting those. the only thing i planted that is a risk are the strawberries but as long as you don't let them ripen too much you should be good. yeah there will be SOME bugs which is fine, but i don't want the whole thing taken over.

i let my dogs eat some watermelon which had seeds in them.. also cantaloupe... well guess what started springing up in my yard? they ended up growing full size and made me 2 watermelons and 2 cantaloupes, however the bugs were out of control.. i ended up having to hire a bug service to come out and spray the whole area. it was bad. the melons were delicious though.. anyone who has never had an organic melon right off the vine is missing out, can't compare to the store melons that were probably picked 2 weeks ago and shipped hundreds of miles

My veggies are doin great, except SOMETHING is eating my lettuce!!! Whatever it is hasn't touched the squash, peppers, chard, spinach, or garlic, but when I got home from a 3 day vacation I noticed some groups of holes in my romaine. The leaves with holes also have broken spines, so I'm thinking it's something heavy (slugs?)... any advice on keeping slugs away? I'm gonna go out there in the middle of the night tonight to try and catch em in the act just to be sure of my diagnosis. Would a ring of salt around the lettuce stop them?

I don't have any rabbits in my area but I swear if I see an opossum/squirrel eating my veggies he's gonna catch 32 grains to the face lol.... probably shouldn't say that since I live inside the city limits...

Marigolds are good bug pritection.
Also there are a lot of natural bug deterrents, as well as nutrient options. Theres a great sight for this, when I find the link I will post it.

Come on Steve, you know I am bullshitting. Botanicare makes a great organic watering product. It's mostly soap and organic smelly stuff but, works great. All natural. Last year the bugs got my green beans before I could.

Top Bottom