Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Spinning

ME TOO

I try to do spinning the instructor has really awesome legs but my ass........any hints on cutting down on the soreness untill I get used to it!

If you are trying to lose and get cut....cardio is NOT the answer...you dont lose and then start lifting weights!!! YOU NEED TO LIFT NOW!!! LIfting creates LEAN MASS...the more lean mass you have..you will burn more calories...increases that good ol metabolism of yours. That is how you LOSE weight and get TONE and CUT UP! Not by a spinning class....its a misconception many of us have when we first begin. A spinning class is great, but you its not gonna do what you are looking to do. Do not be afraid to lift weights..your not gonna get bulky, its not easy to do....get started on a good solid program..lifting heavy!! More muscle you got your body will burn MORE fat....thats how you get lean...or tone as most like to put it. Focus on that and your diet...then add some cardio in the mix! What is your diet like? Thats where you need to begin...

new@gettinbig said:

"If you are trying to lose and get cut....cardio is NOT the answer...you dont lose and then start lifting weights!!! YOU NEED TO LIFT NOW!!! LIfting creates LEAN MASS...the more lean mass you have..you will burn more calories...increases that good ol metabolism of yours. That is how you LOSE weight and get TONE and CUT UP! Not by a spinning class....its a misconception many of us have when we first begin. A spinning class is great, but you its not gonna do what you are looking to do. "

WRONG! Cardio burns plenty of weight/fat. Lifting definitely adds lean body mass which increase metabolism, but to cut you have do some amount of cardio and to lose weight you have to do some kinda cardio. Vwroom6-you should start lifting because it will help alot and it is the best way to increase muscle size. To increase muscle definition/lose weight= 1) clean diet 2) cardio.

I am an elite triathlete/bicyle racer(like Lance hehehe) and I do 20 HOURS of cardio a week and I am ripped up and lean! And I only lift 3 days a week.

CARDIO is the way to GO (especially spinning). I've done some of those classes and they are hard!

FHG

Wrong...I dont think so. YEs she needs to do some cardio but that is her main focus and it should not be. Lifting can be far more benefical than just doing hours of freakin cardio...yeah you will get lean...and skinny. A good heavy lifting session can burn tons of calories and does wonders for your body. Building lean tissue will Boost metabolism..burning more calories at rest etc. I think you missed my point...but Im not going to run it into the ground......her whole thread was directed towards spinning, weight training is a big part of it and you need to do it even if you need to lose weight. you dont just do the cardio.

I'll have to agree with New... you can do all the cardio you want, if you really like that crap, but you'll be burning muscle along with the fat... get in there and build up the muscle to at least replace what you're burning when you're busting your ass doing all that cardio...

and all that metabolism stuff too ;)

point is lift heavy, eat clean (if you're looking for your abs you're more likely to find 'em in the kitchen than in the gym) and do cardio if you really like it :)

Yea...what New@ and Lobo said.

OK, you may be an elite level athlete...kudos to you. You have my utmost respect, but do you HONESTLY believe this WOMAN (who has less lean mass than you do to begin with by virtue of the fact that she is female and is VOID of the testerone that will support that lean mass - which YOU HAVE) will 20 hours of cardio per week?! HELLO!

I never got past the local level in competitive bodybuilding. I have been holding steady at about 14%bf and I can not remember the last time I did cardio....wait a minute, yes I can...but only if sex counts. :D

LIFT HEAVY - EAT CLEAN...BUILD MASS and worry about cardio later

...just my .02

Vwroom6,

It doesn't say what gender you are, but if you're female and trying to lose weight, listen to these women when they say make weights and diet your priority. Sure, you can still do cardio. I for one enjoy it, but I'm sure glad I finally listened to this same advice and prioritized weights.

Women generally have less muscle mass than men, and if they do get any muscle, they have to work a lot harder just to keep it. As you probably already know, you NEED muscle because it burns calories even just sitting there. Body fat does not. Muscle is denser than fat, so if you replace 5 pounds of fat with 5 pounds of muscle, you'll weigh the same, but your measurements will be smaller, you'll look more toned - AND now you can eat more calories w/o gaining weight.

Lets say you just do cardio and lose 10 pounds. If you're not weight training to build/maintain muscle, some of the weight lost will be fat and some will be muscle. To maintain this new weight, however, you'll have to restrict your calories even more, because now you have less muscle mass, so your metabolism is slower. This is why most traditional dieters (calorie restriction/cardio only) regain their lost weight and then some.

I see this all the time at my gym. The same ladies (and some men) day in and day out doing cardio for hours at a time. They never do weights. Their bodies never improve. Time itself is working against them. As people age, they naturally lose muscle mass (if they're not doing manual labor or any kind of weight training), and this will result in a slower metabolism which = fat gain. In the case of muscle, "use it or lose it" definitely holds true.

Last edited:
Let me clarify-

1) She asked about spinning which is a topic I have 100,00miles of experience on. I know the effects of bicycling on human anatomy.

2) I never said "screw lifting". I said spinning will burn tons of calories and that cardio will be necessary to efficiently and effectively loose that much weight. In fact I suggested that she start lifting more as having more LBM means an increased BMR and bigger muscles look good. If she wants muscle definition she should lift and clean up her diet, but she should do some cardio too. It is a synergitic effect. I don't think she said she wanted to gain 20lbs of mass-she wanted to lose 20. Doing some cardio (not 20 hours, but some like 2-4) will help.

3) I never suggested that anyone do 20 hours of cardio. I used that of an example of someone doing primarily cardio and being cut (albeit a poor example for the thread-sorry). I lift about 3-5 hours a week. Lifting is not lost on me. It is a huge part of my offseason and it imporves my racing. I do it the add a few pounds of muscle, increase muscular endurance and strength, and help w/injury prevention. Plus I like looking good and a little muscle all over is nice-I may be an elite athlete, but I can still be a little narcistic.

4) On all of these boards there seems to be a general belief that cardio doesn't burn that many calories, that everyone should do just :20, blah blah blah. MY GAME IS CARDIO and I know my game. I have a great deal of respect for the mods and experienced lifters-you know more than I do about the iron game. There are different types of cardio workouts and they work well for anyone. HIIT is good; longer intense cardio is good too. It just depends on which your body responds best to. Everybody should do a little of both IMO.

FHG

Top Bottom