Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Real time chat forum?

Should we have a real time chat forum/room?

• Yes

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

JeetKuneDo

How about it George? Post a chat room ....... not 2 hard to code for your boys...... what do u say guys .... girls?

they are relatively easy to write as a java applet and there are likely already several free ones out there to use.

off the top of my hand, the excuses to argue in favor of it would mainly be that people could chat realtime (duh), you could put it in a frames system similar to elitemail so that you could rotate the banner ads above it - hell, below it too... all around it. it might draw or retain a few more people. you can log the discussions and then generate a web page from that, allow searches against it, and of course let it be indexed by search engines and then more people will find your site.

the reasons to argue against it - I'm not sure if it is the case with the 1.3 release of the jdk, but with the older ones, the java applets that got a lot of traffic tended to bring down the server over time and require a reboot, and then after some time it would do it again... over and over again. this is annoying. and it is one more thing to maintain and more work.

I'm perfectly happy with the current set up - well, pretty happy. :)

It would be kinda neat..but I would go with the idea of the avatars.... at least 500 posts... and also possibly giving "boot" powers to some of the vets on the board (boot meanig boot them outta the chat room) Did I just volunteer for that?? :)

P.S. George..got my triple threat today...in 3 days...can't beat that.. thanks

This is a brilliant idea which has been thrown around this board for a long time now.
The only other BB'ing chat room I use is www.getbig.com but it run's very slow, and it's full of natural prick's banging on about the danger's of steroids. Come on George, where's our chat room.

Bouncer

jkd 2 will only have the issues of bringing down the server if the server is 2 small. If their server is big enuff. it can cope with alot of traffic.

i would hang in a chat room... sounds like a cool idea... even a little easier to swap ideas and opinions.. i give it a thumbs up

I threw this idea up about a month ago... no one really saw the need for a real time chat forum with all these discussion boards ... its harder to say something witty when you only have a couple seconds as opposed to a half hour to ponder your response.

Top Bottom