Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

pyramid

Start with a weight you can do for say 12 reps. Do 12, then increase your weight so you can only do 8 or so, then 6.

Example

Bench press - 135X12, 160X8, 180X6

Basically, as you increase your weight, you lower the amount of reps. I think the argument for it is that it gets you up to your max weight for the day using small steps, not a big jump from the warm-up to your max weight for whatever many sets or reps. The argument against using it is definitely that you use a lot of your energy using sub-optimal weight, so you have less energy to use when your weight gets higher.

ND

Oh yeah,

There is also "reverse pyramid" training, where, after a very good warm-up, you go straight to your 5 or 6 rep weight, decrease the weight and increase reps from there. This to me is intriguing and I might try it out in a couple weeks.

ND

To Natedog, I thought classic pyramid was the weight went up per set and then down and the reps did the reverse.
135 @12, 155@8 175@5 145@10 135@12. That is why it was called pyramid up then down... That was I was taught, no flame just my own opinion.

Lord_Suston said:
To Natedog, I thought classic pyramid was the weight went up per set and then down and the reps did the reverse.
135 @12, 155@8 175@5 145@10 135@12. That is why it was called pyramid up then down... That was I was taught, no flame just my own opinion.

That was always my impression as well, up then down.

Top Bottom