Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS:YES or NO?

PANTS

Seems like a crazy notion, but has anyone given up the protein shakes and noticed a drop in gains? I doubt it very much.
I've just had 3 weeks with no protein supplementation and my gains where still good. Strength/ mass increased.
SO WTF is the deal?
As an gym manager I receive plenty of government literature. The majority states that "protein supplements are a waste of money".
So what do you guys think?

This question is very subjective.

Basically, if you get enough protien in your diet then there is no reason to use shakes, exept maybe post workout, for a higher rate of absobtion.

I only use shakes if there is no way to get a solid meal, or post workout. I put in maybe 2 a day. Real food is always better, a lot of people use liquid meals for weight loss diets. I find getting your protein from real foods will increase gains more.

"PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS" = supplementation of your daily protein intake

so if you already take enough protein (in real food) shakes are not required
shakes are just a convenient way to meet your needs

pants, i dotn really consider protein shakes a supplement, it is just a substitute to a high protein food and better for timing and convenience, that is all. r u still eating the same amoutn of protein as you were when u r on them, if so it is justl ike havign the shake, even a little better since whole food is prolly better. if ur not, in the long-term u will not experience the benefits you could if u were consuming enought protein in my opinion.

Anthrax said:
"PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS" = supplementation of your daily protein intake

so if you already take enough protein (in real food) shakes are not required
shakes are just a convenient way to meet your needs

This is where people get it all wrong. Your gains will be much better w/ solid food meals, substituting a solid meal for a shake is not the way to go, but like Anthrax mentioned they are convenient and besides that less of a hassle. But they are no more beneficial than solid food, solid food is still #1.

On the other hand like Benzi mentioned, I think a shake post workout will give you much more benfit. This is the only case I would say for sure go for the shake and not the solid food.

I think the only time you would go for protein powder over proper food is post-workout, I use skim milk powder for a protein source if I am having a liquid meal. Milk and whole food have become my main protein sources and I am gaining much better than when I spent all my cash on NLarge and whey isolates.

Whole food takes longer to digest (which is a good thing) and is much cheaper, most of the time the BV of protein doesn't matter if you are getting enough calories all of your protein will be used so using whey when on a bulking diet is heavy on the wallet and really not necessary.

If you want a liquid meal you can't go far wrong mixing some milk powder with milk.

D&G said:
I think the only time you would go for protein powder over proper food is post-workout, I use skim milk powder for a protein source if I am having a liquid meal. Milk and whole food have become my main protein sources and I am gaining much better than when I spent all my cash on NLarge and whey isolates.

Whole food takes longer to digest (which is a good thing) and is much cheaper, most of the time the BV of protein doesn't matter if you are getting enough calories all of your protein will be used so using whey when on a bulking diet is heavy on the wallet and really not necessary.

If you want a liquid meal you can't go far wrong mixing some milk powder with milk.
D&G
you're a lactose intolerant'[s nightmare

Top Bottom