Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein mix and headaches

Rich2279

Anyone get massive headaches after using choc. whey protein mix by Body Fortress? I doubt it is causing the headaches, but I am just curious. :p

how much water do you drink daily?
the usual cause of a headache for me is dehydration, so i drink like a fish

If you read Dr David Bucholz "Heal Your Headache", he lists a number of triggers foods for migraines. One "potential" trigger is protein shakes, particularly hyrolysed whey/caisein/soy protein.

The reason is not the protein itself (as milk is OK according to him), but apparently the MSG that is liberated in the process. If you buy glutamine separately the same problem exists to an even larger extent.

I am a chronic headache sufferer (new daily persistent headache), to the extent that I would say its ruining my life. I tried no protein shakes for 6 weeks for me and it had no affect, so they're not a problem for me. Some people swear by his diet though, and its similar to that recommended by the US American association, albeit slightly more hardcore.

Try another brand, or you could be MSG sensitive, or at least don't get a hyrolysed one.

Sim882 said:
If you read Dr David Bucholz "Heal Your Headache", he lists a number of triggers foods for migraines. One "potential" trigger is protein shakes, particularly hyrolysed whey/caisein/soy protein.

The reason is not the protein itself (as milk is OK according to him), but apparently the MSG that is liberated in the process. If you buy glutamine separately the same problem exists to an even larger extent.

I am a chronic headache sufferer (new daily persistent headache), to the extent that I would say its ruining my life. I tried no protein shakes for 6 weeks for me and it had no affect, so they're not a problem for me. Some people swear by his diet though, and its similar to that recommended by the US American association, albeit slightly more hardcore.

Try another brand, or you could be MSG sensitive, or at least don't get a hyrolysed one.
glutamine alone can cause headaches? I need to read this book i supp glutamine 3x a day...

CORPORATEBEAST said:
glutamine alone can cause headaches? I need to read this book i supp glutamine 3x a day...

I bought it from amazon.

It didn't really help me, but it is aimed at migraine sufferers. The author argues all headaches are a species of migraines. However, my condition is much rarer, and he fails to mention mine. Therefore, I'm not saying it won't help you.

In short, the book prohibits the following foods:
- all nuts (sad I know)
- certain legumes (navy, kidney, soy)
- matured cheeses, yougurt (milk OK and cottage/chedder cheese)
- cured/processed meats
- aspartame, saccharin
- caffeine (and decaf drinks)
- MSG
- citrus fruit and bananas
- onions, peas, green beans and a few other random veggies.
- chocolate
- some other food have forgotten

Herbs and spices and sucralose are allowed

Foods are prohibited if they contain MSG, aspartame, saccharin, MSG, tyramine, nitrates, sulfates.

I just found out that I have low blood pressure at the DR.'s office. I'm sure if I can get the pressure up, I'll be feeling better. :worried:
Regardless, I'll look into the book. Plenty of good information. Also, I switched to vanilla flavor protein whey.

I also get a bad headache after drinking my whey protien shake. I use chocolate Body Fortress too. The pain is a dull presure behind my eyes and a general crappy feeling.
Did switching to vanilla help?

Body Fortress is a very low quality whey protein (this is why you see it at Wal-Mart) and it tastes like SHIT. The powder does not completely dissolve in water, it leaves a gritty/sandy taste in the shake. Go buy a different brand like EAS and see if that helps. The vanilla will most likely give you the same problems.

Oh yeah, Body Fortress whey protein also gave my buddy the shits really bad.

Yes actually I have one right now from the body fortress chocolate whey protein i just had a min ago. so the headache comes on quickly...yeah i dont think its a good thing. I added blended fruit to it and it made it taste better but headache is still here. Im glad i dont get the shits though.

Top Bottom