Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

pre/post workout protein

i always eat a hamburger paty and a bowl of oats 1 hour before workout, the as i enter the gym i eat a banana. Sip on a carb force the entire workout.

I used to take in a potato and some turkey but I would get drowsy, but now I eat about 1 hr before I train, a high protein low carb meal, then when I walk in the gym I chomp down a apple. I usually eat a EAS Mass shake with some choc syrup, and then after and hr or so, I have the biggest carb/protien/fats.

Chop

It's overkill to wait 2-3 hours after your last meal to train. You won't ever get big that way. I drink a 50g whey / 50g carb drink one hour and 15 minutes before I start warming up and then work out for not more than 65 minutes. I follow that immediately with a 80g whey 100g sugar (CellTech) shake. Gives great results.

musketeer said:
It's overkill to wait 2-3 hours after your last meal to train. You won't ever get big that way. I drink a 50g whey / 50g carb drink one hour and 15 minutes before I start warming up and then work out for not more than 65 minutes. I follow that immediately with a 80g whey 100g sugar (CellTech) shake. Gives great results.

I eat 2 slices of whole wheat break 1 hour and 15 min before workout, then 75g of whey and 80 g of dextrose post workout.

Hustler_dt said:
you dont want to eat anything right before your workout. you should eat about 2-3 hours before you plan on lifting, then directly after lifting.

if you eat right before exercise then the cells around your digestive system require more blood and energy to perform their function. this takes away from the available blood and nutrients that you muscles would be using.

if you eat 2-3 hours before hand you will have plenty of glycogen/amino acids available and hopefully your digestive system would be working much less.

....my opinion......has worked well for me. always have enough energy in the gym and good recovery/uptake

BUMP. He's got it right on !!

Hustler_dt said:
you dont want to eat anything right before your workout. you should eat about 2-3 hours before you plan on lifting, then directly after lifting.

if you eat right before exercise then the cells around your digestive system require more blood and energy to perform their function. this takes away from the available blood and nutrients that you muscles would be using.

if you eat 2-3 hours before hand you will have plenty of glycogen/amino acids available and hopefully your digestive system would be working much less.

....my opinion......has worked well for me. always have enough energy in the gym and good recovery/uptake

I second that...

Hustler_dt said:

This old school. Not to say it doesnt work, but every new study shows that WPI and carbs before training increases anabolism during training. Again, you dont want to "eat" before training, but a liquid shake is digested much easier than whole foods. I'm telling you it will increase your gains and speed your recovery!

LAWNSAVER said:

This old school. Not to say it doesnt work, but every new study shows that WPI and carbs before training increases anabolism during training. Again, you dont want to "eat" before training, but a liquid shake is digested much easier than whole foods. I'm telling you it will increase your gains and speed your recovery!

True!! I am a hardgainer, and on top of that, my metabolism is slow, so I really can't "bulk" (eating everything in sight) very often, that's why I have studied pre- and post-workout nutrition very carefully. Here are some guidelines;

Of course you have to eat well before and after, but I think people know that... so here is my 2 cents on pre and postworkout shakes only...

PREWORKOUT SHAKE:
-15-45min before workout, personal preference may vary
-MUST contain essential amino acids (meaning, take either BCAA liquid or powder or HIGH-QUALITY ION EXCHANGED whey protein). about 5g's of essential aminos is enough (that is roughly 20-30 grams of high quality protein powder)
-SHOULD contain some carbs. Not enough to create a long insulin spike, just enough that they are digested before the workout starts. I recommend 20-30 grams of maltodextrin.

So, preworkout; take protein and carbs very moderatly, otherwise it won't do you good...

POSTWORKOUT:
-Absolutely no fat (not over 1%)... fat decreases absorption rate
-HIGH QUALITY ION EXCHANGED whey protein, this is the fastest acting protein, has a very good amino acid balance, and is not cheap. I take 40 grams.
-Maltodextrin 60-80 grams
-Dextrose 10 grams (just for creatine uptake)
-Creatine 5 grams
-Vitamins, like twinlab maxilife, ½-1 teaspoon, depending on how much you can drink this *hit without :sick:

Then a solid meal about 60-90 mins later.

I like to mix everything myself. That way I know that I have the best quality shakes, as my raw materials are very high quality. Some protein powders say something like "INCLUDES ION EXHANGED WHEY", and when you do some research, it turns out that only like 10% of the product is ion exhanged, and the rest is something else (like CFM whey protein...)

If you are lazy, then you could f.ex. for a preworkout shake; buy a BCAA drink, drink so that you get the needed amount of essential aminos, and then drink a carb drink, but only drink so little that you get 20-30 carbs. Of course the problem again is that are the carbs from the carb drink maltodextrin, or is there added sugar as well...

Hope this helps someone.

Top Bottom