Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PRE and POST WORKOUT meals...Whats yours ?????

C0LUMB0

OK folks simple question....What y'all eatin before and after training these days....and when ?

At the moment my preworkout is 2 scoops of whey in 16oz of 1% low fat milk and an apple 60 - 90 mins before i hit the gym.

postworkout is approx 1 hour after my postworkout shake and is 2 chicken breasts and a wholewheat bagel and some fruit.

I workout fasted on the intermittent fasting diet, so for me it's five grams of protein powder blended in the magic bullet with 1 cup of almond milk and three ice-cubes before and after (tastes like a milk-shake.) My first "real" meal is a couple hours after training and it's typically a spinach salad with chicken breast, blue cheese crumbles, and oil+vinegar dressing.

i IF but i eat about 45 min pre work out whey n cheerio's then post work whey n cheerio's again . it keeps me on track knowing im gonna have cheerio's twice a day . some times ill swap the cheerios for ice cream . i started eating pre wo as after about 45min my strength was dropping fast so 25g whey n 50g hi gi carbs just before keeps me good for 90 to 120 mins

today:
protein pancakes 1hr before, small fruit 20 min before. fruit with post workout shake, instant oatmeal and whey post. hr later. chicken, beans, spinach.

No protein pre workout steve ? why not buddy...

the whole protein thing is greatly exaggerated. I get under 100 grams of protein per day total. i don't believe in protein powder, i get my protein from real food. i see some young kids at the gym carrying around their protein shakes and they have those skinny chests. they think protein powder it the answer. the bigtime lifters just drink water.

i like to eat fiber before a workout and save the protein for after.

fibery foods are great because they digest quickly and they don't sit in your stomach or make you feel 'blah' . i like to be 'light' when i am working out and energetic.

the whole protein thing is greatly exaggerated. I get under 100 grams of protein per day total. i don't believe in protein powder, i get my protein from real food. i see some young kids at the gym carrying around their protein shakes and they have those skinny chests. they think protein powder it the answer. the bigtime lifters just drink water.

i like to eat fiber before a workout and save the protein for after.

fibery foods are great because they digest quickly and they don't sit in your stomach or make you feel 'blah' . i like to be 'light' when i am working out and energetic.

Yeah i agree on the fibre pre workout and i too only drink water during my workout.

I am surprised that you only consume 100g of whole food protein per day and can gain/maintain muscle but. i would have to disagree with you on the pre workout protein ...

This is a very basic write -up on pre workout protein intake but its one i would subscribe to ...

The first component of the pre workout meal is protein. Eating enough protein will keep your body in an anabolic state during your workout to reduce muscle breakdown. I recommend consuming 30-40 grams of high quality protein in your pre workout meal. If you can, try to get your protein from whey protein and casein. You can achieve this easily by mixing 25-30 grams of whey protein in 300-400ml of skim milk.
Whey protein makes for a great pre-workout choice because it is naturally high in BCAA's, which help to prevent muscle catabolism during your workout. Mixing your whey with milk is a good idea because this will slow down the release of the protein and provide your body with a steady stream of amino acids throughout your workout.

The reason whey protein is a great choice for pre-workout is because it's naturally high in Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's). BCAA's will help to prevent muscle breakdown during your workout. Also, mixing the whey protein with skim milk is a sound idea because this will slow down the release of the protein to give a steady stream of energy to your body throughout the workout.

^^^ yeah bro whatever works for you. i do not consume dairy at all so thats out of the question. haven't drank milk in probably 6 years.

I used to drink whey shakes all the time, it didn't do anything for me except make me crap all the time and enrich the supplement companies.

I actually was a vegan for 2 years straight.. one of the pics on my profile is from my vegan days.. and I was very muscular and vascular. you wouldn't believe if i told you how much i was benching, this was before I even sniffed AAS. i was totally natural. you can still put on muscle without eating meat, believe me. guys in prison eat slop, they do not eat steak unless its in jerky form, and the hardcore guys in there are built like tanks cause all they do is workout all day and fight. on the flip side you've got most of America going out to eat and consuming large amounts of protein, dairy, meats, fats. and lets face it.. most of us are fat.. something like 2 out of 3 americans are overweight.. and something like 40% are considered obese. i'm sure between bacon, eggs, sausage for breakfast, tbone steak for lunch, and eating at chili's or whatever for dinner they are bringing in well over 100g of protein a day. but it sure doesn't do them much good.

I do think its more important to eat every 2 hours to stay anabolic, rather then just consume whey shakes all day. lifters tend to underrate calories and carbs too much, and put too much emphasis on protein.. this is why a lot of small guys cannot put on any weight.

There's a lot of conflicting research about how much protein your body actually uses out there. I do like protein shakes, but only for those times it's not possible for me to eat a meal. As Steve said, you get a lot of people that think protein shakes are the key, that's BS.. if you're relying on shakes rather than real food you're already f'in up. Steve also mentioned the pre-workout bloat, that's a god awful feeling in the gym and if you're eating every few hours you don't have to eat that special meal 30minutes before or whatever the case may be.

"i'm sure between bacon, eggs, sausage for breakfast, tbone steak for lunch, and eating at chili's or whatever for dinner they are bringing in well over 100g of Protein a day. but it sure doesn't do them much good."

That's because the majority of the lazy asses in this country don't get proper exercise. It's a known fact, eating well & training well is going to lead to a healthier lifestyle... once your body gets to it's best natural shape is when you have to start tweaking things to get bigger(high protein intakes, carbs, cals, aas, etc). It really amazes me how many people in America don't understand that simple concept.

Top Bottom