Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Over the Counter Pain Relievers

Island_Girl

IFBB Pro Physique
Platinum
Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Acetaminophen: What is the Difference Between Over-the-counter Pain Relievers?

Ask folks who work in an office or factory, and they've no doubt heard the question: "Does anyone have an Advil?" People sometimes name a specific over-the-counter pain reliever even when they don't have a particular brand in mind, just as people ask for a Kleenex when they want a tissue of any brand. But there are differences between over-the-counter pain relievers that consumers should understand. Aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, and acetaminophen are different substances whose desired effects (and drawbacks) can be different. So if you're not sure how brand names like Advil, Aleve, and Tylenol are different from each other, read on.

Pain Reliever: Aspirin
Over-the-counter brands: Bayer, Bufferin

Ah, good old aspirin - or acetylsalicylic acid, as the science-savvy call it. The first over-the-counter pain reliever to see mass production, aspirin gets absorbed into the bloodstream and essentially "looks" for prostaglandins, substances that are concentrated where we feel pain. In short, aspirin reacts with our blood chemistry to inhibit the enzyme cyclooxygenase, which in turns limits the volume of prostaglandins. As you undoubtedly know, aspirin is used to treat headaches of all sizes, to quell minor body aches and pains, and to reduce inflammation when we're sore. But what are the problems with aspirin as an over-the-counter pain reliever? Among other things, it's rough on the upper digestive tract (can cause upset stomach, heartburn, and even dyspepsia), it's bad for hemophiliacs (because it's an anticoagulant), and it's not always safe for kids (because it's linked to Reye's syndrome). That said, aspirin is still the most common over-the-counter pain reliever, available in both brand names and generic versions. And now it's also playing a role in the treatment of heart disease.

Pain Reliever: Ibuprofen
Over-the-counter brands: Motrin, Advil

Ibuprofen is chemically similar to regular aspirin and functions in an analogous way, minimizing the production of prostaglandins, though it accomplishes this with slightly different chemical reactions. So how is ibuprofen different from aspirin? In lower doses, ibuprofen seems to irritate the esophagus and stomach lining less than its close cousins, aspirin and naproxen. If you have ulcers or acid reflux disease, ibuprofen may be the best product for pain clearly resulting from inflammation (arthritis, sprains, sunburns, etc.).

Pain Reliever: Naproxen
Over-the-counter brands: Aleve

Although it is used for headaches, naproxen is especially effective as an anti-inflammatory agent. For arthritis, sprains, sunburns, and other inflammation-based pain, naproxen seems to edge its competition. Many women suffering from menstrual cramps also report that naproxen is more effective than standard aspirin. The other difference between naproxen and its chemical kin? Similar doses of this over-the-counter pain reliever tend to last longer - often for 8-12 hours instead of 4-8 hours.

Pain Reliever: Acetaminophen (sometimes called paracetamol)
Over-the-counter brands: Tylenol

As they used to sing on Sesame Street: "One of these things is not like the other things!" And such is the case for acetaminophen. This pain reliever lowers fevers and soothes headaches effectively, but it is NOT an anti-inflammatory substance. As a result, it won't do much for arthritis or sprains. Of course, acetaminophen has some key trade-off benefits, including a milder effect on the upper digestive tract than other over-the-counter pain relievers. It is less irritating to the lining of the stomach, making it the best headache treatment for people with acid reflux disease, ulcers, and the like. Acetaminophen is also safer for hemophiliacs and children than aspirin and its friends. There are various permutations of acetaminophen on the market, so be sure to see what else it's partnered with and whether drowsiness may result from the combo. And alas, because its usual dosage for pain relief and its overdose amount are not incredibly different, some doctors consider acetaminophen to be more dangerous than aspirin, arguing that it is easier to overdose unintentionally.

Final note: Alway read the dosage instructions on over-the-counter pain relievers and consult a medical professional if you have questions.

I think different pain relievers work in different ways for people. Nothing stops a headache like aspirin for me. For body aches I find that Ibuprofen is my favorite. Tylenol just doesn't do much for me.

Rebecca D

Advil is amazing and fairly non toxic in low doses.
I use it only at night when ive used it but thats rare

never us it pre workout though

I think different pain relievers work in different ways for people. Nothing stops a headache like aspirin for me. For body aches I find that Ibuprofen is my favorite. Tylenol just doesn't do much for me.

Rebecca D

Ibuprofen really helps me with body aches too. I've tried the tylenol for body aches and pains and it didn't work the same as an ibuprofen.

Advil is amazing and fairly non toxic in low doses.
I use it only at night when ive used it but thats rare

never us it pre workout though

Your post made me think about the toxic and non toxic part. It's not really relevant to this thread but I work in a psych unit for youth and we see all the suicide attempts. One of the most common and most toxic is tylenol. It's also readily available for kids in most homes or easy to buy but it doesn't take as many as I would have thought for it to become toxic in the body and cause serious damage and/ or death.

I only use prescription pain killers when I need them, NSAIDs are counterproductive when you are trying to build muscle. I dont get headaches, so it is rare that I every need anything.

Its rare that I get a headache, but i am an aspirin girl when they do happen. Tylenol doesn't work for me for some reason.
i do get migraine aura without headache, but nothing works on that, so i don't even bother taking anything anymore, i just enjoy the strobe lights for 20 minutes.

Your post made me think about the toxic and non toxic part. It's not really relevant to this thread but I work in a psych unit for youth and we see all the suicide attempts. One of the most common and most toxic is tylenol. It's also readily available for kids in most homes or easy to buy but it doesn't take as many as I would have thought for it to become toxic in the body and cause serious damage and/ or death.

Acetaminophenis Very toxic. So is Naproxen.

They eventually will phase Acetaminophen out of Vicodens or opt just for the Norcos which have 325 mgs vs 500 or 750 as in lortabs.

Ibuprofen can be toxic in high doses, BUT since a therapeutic dose is so low ( 200 mgs) the likely hood of that happening is almost nill

I only use prescription pain killers when I need them, NSAIDs are counterproductive when you are trying to build muscle. I dont get headaches, so it is rare that I every need anything.

thats why you NSAIDs Tactically

Strategic use of Advil will be superior to any opiate in terms of cost benifit ratio, not to mention removing possible dependency

thats why you NSAIDs Tactically

Strategic use of Advil will be superior to any opiate in terms of cost benifit ratio, not to mention removing possible dependency

Im not sure what is cheaper than free, but its true some people can become addicted to those. But like I said I rarely take them, so it is an impossibility.

Top Bottom