Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

oatmeal postworkout

T

t3c

I've been putting oatmeal, protein powder and gatorade powder in a postworkout shake. Is oatmeal ok post workout?

oatmeal is not preferred postworkout because it is low GI and also it is complex sugar, which means it is not readily absorbed by your body. After a workout, you need to take some simple carb (i.e. Dextrose) for glucose replenishment.

On a side note, Gatorade is not the best kind of simple carb apparently because it is mainly fructose and fructose will more than likely replenish the Liver Glycogen more than the muscle glycogen storage.

In any event, Dextrose is cheaper than Gatorade anyway...get Dextrose.

BigDog is right, you want hi GI carbs after your workout, because they are more quickly absorbed by your body. Dextrose and Maltodextrin are both good choices and should be available at most health food stores for less then a buck a pound.

Whey is also a good protein source right after your workout, because it too, is quickly absorbed. I usually make a shake with about 50 grams of dextrose and 30 grams of whey. When I'm bulking I'll use more dextrose, and when I'm cutting I'll use less.

However, with that said, I still like having oatmeal for my postworkout meal, especially when I'm out of dextrose. I haven't noticed any difference really.

Top Bottom