Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Next to ALA and Ginger, what is the 3rd best supplement to take?

I also think you need to define "for what?" I'm not at all sure that ALA and ginger are at the top of the supplement pyramid.

Ephedra and Norephedrine are extremely powerful, as is Yohimbine. Both much more potent in fat-burning regards.

Green tea polyphenols and 5-HTP are all probably as effective in some regards (fat-buring/carb-sparing) effects.

Certainly, I wouldn't take any other supplement if I wasn't meeting my multivitaman/mineral requirements. I would say those are more necessary.

Glutamine is also a pretty kick-ass supplement.

What about 1AD?

Ginger may be ok for specific stomach/digestion problems on a occasional basis, but I'm not sure about steady ingestion over time based on this snippet: (maybe macrophage can comment, as I know he is a big proponent of ginger)

Ginger (Gingerols, Shogaols)

These compounds have been shown to increase energy expenditure and oxygen consumption via adrenal catecholamine secretion (mostly epinephrine) and there’s actually some research in both humans and animals. The problem? Well, yes, an increase in energy expenditure is usually a good thing as long as what’s being oxidized are lipids and not carbohydrates. When you increase carbohydrate oxidation, you essentially end up exhausting glycogen stores while preserving fat stores. Well, this is exactly what capsaicin has been shown to do! And ginger is nearly as potent as capsaicin in this regard. So, it’s pointless to add these to any formulation.

Eldershaw TP, et al. "Pungent principles of ginger (Zingiber officinale) are thermogenic in the perfused rat hindlimb." Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1992 Oct;16(10):755-63

tyguy said:

What are the benefits of these supplements?

Thanks!

Green Tea (Catechin-Polyphenols)

Green tea actually has a good amount of research in humans to support its efficacy. People used to think it was only effective because of its caffeine content, but researchers have found that the catechin-polyphenols contained within actually have an effect independent of caffeine.

One study found that green tea elevated energy expenditure whereas caffeine itself had no effect. Researchers believe that this is accomplished by the catechin-polyphenols’ ability to inhibit the enzyme responsible for the degradation of norepinephrine (meaning that norephedrine’s fat-burning effect lasts longer) and thus explains the increase in urinary norepinephrine excretion in humans. (18,19)

18. Dulloo AG, et al. "Green tea and thermogenesis: interactions between catechin-polyphenols, caffeine and sympathetic activity." Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 2000 Feb;24(2):252-8

19. Dulloo AG, et al. "Efficacy of a green tea extract rich in catechin polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans." Am J Clin Nutr 2000 Nov;72(5):1232-4

Top Bottom