Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

new kid on the block... can you guys tell me how many reps you do for legs

irishtank11

i've been getting a lot of different answers to this question lately, and i would like to know what you guys think. i hear doin 15+ reps is the way to go but for some reason that doesnt seem right to me. So if you could help that would be great.

What exercise?

general rule is.........
1-5 reps=strength and little hypertrophy
6-8 reps=strength and hypertrophy (best compromise)
8-15 reps=hypertrophy and little strength

legs require slightly more reps and hamstrings need less reps than quads:

I shoot for sets like:

legpress: 12 - 10 - 16

leg curl : 10 - 8 - 14

personally i would do more sets with lower reps. for the ham strings

like 6 sets of 6.......or even 8 sets of 4.

why? the Hamstring is a fast twitch muscle group and needs a heavier weight, less reps and more sets to really hit it.

I also give the leg curls a BIG thumbs down.

depends what type of machine you do them on.

Most i have seen dont do jack for the hamstrings, because of the way they are angled. The gym i have at home has a similar set up for most home gyms. The only thing i have found the laying leg curl is good for is developing the first few degrees of motion.
I cant use most of them anyway.........they pull too much on my knee cap tendons which is a real problem for me.

I would recomend stiff leg dead lifts

My target rep ranges (if I hit my target, I go up in weight for that set on my next workout) are anywhere from 6 to 15 (20 on my last set of leg presses...you can move A LOT of weight for a lot of reps on leg presses).

It took me a few years to learn that personally my legs react VERY well to higher reps with a moderate weight. I learned this from a good friend who competed in England. Once I started shooting for 15-20 reps on all my Quad exercises, I noticed dramatic changes! For hamstrings, I believe heavy weight is the way to go. I like the 8-12 rep range for hams. Give high reps for Quads a try for a few weeks and see. I used to do 5 sets of 20 reps twice a week for squats when my friend first showed me this. It was brutal and I felt like a wimp with so little weight on the bar, but damn did I finally develop that sweep I was looking for! Of course you can't keep that type of training going for long, I only did it for a few weeks to break a plateau.

Top Bottom