Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need advice for a beginner

joshparrish95

So as my title states I need some advice, I am a newbie when it comes to working out, I have access to a gym but I'm not going to lie, I just do anything and everything, I've seen a few results but other than that I'm lacking in terms of knowledge and a plan, the most I know is how to use each of the machines.

The reason behind my advice, I've applied to join the British Army and they have a fitness test you have to pass. It consists of a 800m warm up followed by a 2.4km run that has to be completed under 14 minutes, I'd like to get around 11 minutes really. I then have to carry to full Jerry cans 150m and then lift a 20kg bag into a shelf.

I don't want to get fit for only this purpose, I would also like to change myself generally and live a bit healthier and feel better about myself.

So other than building the cardio needed for the test and the future ahead I would also like some muscle definition, sure, I'd like some strength behind it but I'd like to be slimmer and have some visible muscle that shows without having to tense all the time!

So I'm asking for some advice on how to accomplish my goals for a newbie.

A little information about myself that I think could help:

I'm 5ft 10.
I weigh 13.8 stone.
Averagely unfit.

I can squat about 50kg once or twice, my legs on the leg press do around 90kg 10 times for one set.

I'm not a smoker, I don't drink and I don't do drugs.

I have no clue about all the muscle groups, I know a few but that's it and finally I can bench 65kg once but that's it.

I thought I'd test myself before posting to give you guys an idea of my level.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hey bro. I would google a couple beginner programs. Stronglifts or Starting Strength are two really good ones. I made HUGE leaps with Stronglifts.

Hey bro. I would google a couple beginner programs. Stronglifts or Starting Strength are two really good ones. I made HUGE leaps with Stronglifts.
Thanks! Will have to check that our then, just out of curiosity, how long did it take you with Stronglifts before you saw a noticeable difference?

Thanks! Will have to check that our then, just out of curiosity, how long did it take you with Stronglifts before you saw a noticeable difference?

3 months easily. I had lifted the "bro split" for a year before that. Switched to SL and got more in 3 months than I did the previous year.

Welcome to EF Josh! Your strength should go up pretty quickly on the programs that saiyan mentioned. There are some pretty good beginner's running workouts that you can google too. After you get the hang of distance running for a couple weeks, start throwing some interval workouts in there (200-meter, 400-meter and 800-meter repeats).

Top Bottom