Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Milk Thistle Question Answered?

LONE_AZ

There has been a lot of debate as to whether milk thistle is effective as a liver protectant. I would have to say that for the most part it is not if you buy it in the US. The reason why I say this is because the true active ingredient in milk thistle is not Silymarin. There is a compound called Silibinin in standardized milk thistle extract that is the true liver protectant. Standardized Milk thistle extract usually contains only 35% Silibinin where as European pharmaceutical grade contains 80%-90%. This grade is sold in Europe as a drug. The results of most of the studies, in which milk thistle has shown positive effects on the liver, were accomplished with extracts that contained 80% Silibinin. If you live in the US almost all extracts contain only 35% this would account why so many people have said milk thistle has had no effect on their liver values. This means three things. One your have to take more than twice the normal amount to achieve positive results, two you can pay out the ass for pharmaceutical grade Milk Thistle, or you would be better off taking ALA because at least we know it works at reasonable doses.

well, is it ever effective enough????

quote :
"I would have to say that for the most part it is not if you buy it in the US. "

It is not if you buy it in Europe either.:)

Jeff

Top Bottom