Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

MaGilicuti: How'd the paper go?

Ok, here's what would be easiest if I were you (and good, don't get me wrong).

Write on Thoreau's WALDEN, breaking up and quoting from the sections. Here is what it would look like for me,

How did Thoreau influence the way modern authors use allegory, especially in reference to nature?

Many modern works have conflicted ideas of how man and nature connect. Hemingway's OLD MAN AND THE SEA shows the two forces opposed, while something like James Joyce's PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN ignores the role of nature and centers on the individual.

Many of Ezra Pound and T.S. Eliot's poems reflect alternative views of allegory and man+nature. This is where the modern use of "Imagism" comes in. That is, using the fewest words to explain very complex concepts. This goes directly back to someone like Thoreau who used nature to symbolize the most complex concepts of human existance.

I think you could get 4 pages out of this. With something this focused, you needn't freak out.

sorry that took so long, my computer's fucked

btw, if you could do the same thing on Poe, if you really have to use a short story. Use THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH, it's almost completely allegorical, so you could connect the conciseness of that to Modern imagism.

here is a poem by ezra pound that kind of makes fun of the idea of man being deeply connected to nature.

"Women Before a Shop."
The gew-gaws of false amber and false turquoise attract them.
"Like to like nature." These agglutinous yellows!

and...

"Meditatio."
When I carefully consider the curious habits of dogs,
I am compelled to admit
That man is the superior animal.

When I consider the curious habits of man,
I confess, my friend, I am puzzled.

Read bits of Walden, and you will see how Pound is making fun of the Romantic idea that man is a part of nature.

thanks a lot for your help. i'll try my best to go along with what you wrote.

btw, do you go to any particular websites for your info? or should i just do a regular search for those works

If you click on the little house there, that's a website that I did for a final paper for a class. It is on romanticism, so it might help. I wrote several of the papers on there and the final paper. There are also some links.

I usually don't use websites, as they are known to be unreliable. I got the Ezra Pound from an old lit magazine called Blast! and I have some excerpts from Walden in The Romantic Movement in American Writing.

Go to Sparknotes, and sign up, then find the notes on WALDEN. They're really well outlined.

MaGilicuti said:
seriously just thinking about this paper makes me wanna throw up

To tell ya the truth, I'm supposed to be working on my own right now, and procrastinating by perusing ef. Thinking about that one makes me want to puke, too.
:sick:

ladymacbeth said:

To tell ya the truth, I'm supposed to be working on my own right now, and procrastinating by perusing ef. Thinking about that one makes me want to puke, too.
:sick:

I still feel sick

Top Bottom