Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Looking for Assistance - NCAA D1 Athletic Prep.

lacrosse206

Hi guys [And girls possibly],

I've been working out for about a month now, with essentially no weight-room experience beforehand. I've always been lean and therefore appeared toned, but the muscle was only due to daily running and lacrosse practices.

Here are my results after about one month, I try to work out every other day [Routine posted below, varies a little bit] and i'm looking for advice and tweaks for my routine.

Dumbbell Chest Press 10 x 4 x 45
Pull-ups 10 x 5
Curls 12 x 4 x 30
Pectoral Fly [Machine] 10 x 5 x 160 [Max 280]
Planks 60sec x 1 x N/A
Leg Press 12 x 3 x 400
Hip Adductor 20 x 2 x 300
Hip Abductor 20 x 2 x 300
Weighted Curl-Up Machine 20 x 5 x 70
Chest Press 10 x 3 x 120
Don't Know The Name of Machine - Works lower back and glutes - 10 x 2 x 300
Machine That Looks Like reverse Curls, Works Triceps - 10 x 2 x 80
Run 1 Mile - Start at 10min pace, finish last half at 5:00 pace [Gradual increase]
Weighted Shoulder Rotations 12 x 4 x 45
Lat Pull 12 x 2 x 115
One Circuit of Men's Health Immortal Routine [8-short-nasal breaths between each part of routine, super-quick turnaround time aka super short rest]
--- Goblet Squat 25 x 1 x 45
--- Kettle bell Swing 25 x 1 x 35
--- Squat Thrust 25 x 1 x N/A
--- JumpingJjacks 25 x 1 x N/A

***I'd love to work in squats but I don't want to hurt my back. As it is now, sometimes it feels as if my spine is compressing when I life heavier weights and accidentally don't arch my back. Do you suggest getting one of those wraps that stabilizes your back?***
^^^
That is the typical workout, sometimes it varies with a few less reps or a few more [I didn't list about 3 other lifts because I can't remember the names, but they are back and arm workouts]

I'm looking to get thicker around the waist as well as larger shoulders and back muscles, larger forearms, larger calves and an all around gain in weight. Both aesthetic improvement as well as athletic improvement. I'm not looking to be a muscle head though, so nothing too extreme. I'm trying to prepare for Division 1 NCAA athletics and am trying to get an edge.

I've heard of something called Force Factor, any opinions on this? I'm currently trying to eat as much as I can each day, but I'm not doing so well at that. I've also heard that basic protein powder is bad for you, confirmation?

Thanks very much for any thoughts! And I'm incredibly amateur at lifting, so try not to bash me for that, I'm already aware. Thanks guys.

I would take a look at Starting Strength...great routine, just google it.

It perfectly fits the goals you stated because it focuses on heavy compund lifts...there are only four exercises you really need to get bigger and stronger as a beginner: squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press. At this point machines are virtually useless, people tend to drift toward using them because it is easy and easy is not good for progress. If you want to get significantly stronger, squatting is going to give you the best results. Do a search for Mark Rippetoe squat technique...if you go with Starting Strength you will be able to start light and get your form down.

I would recommend a good weight lifting belt, not one of those cheap nylon jiggers either. That is if you choose to implement your heavy compound lifts. Your current routine doesn't really require a belt however, since not much is actually being lifted (mostly cables and jumping around and such).

Also if you must read Mens Health, please ignore the weight lifting articles. 95% of the time the routines you see in there will serve to only A. burn precious calories that you need to replace in order to get bigger, and B. make you look like a fuckin' idiot to any serious lifters in your gym.

Good luck!

Not sure what you mean by basic protein powder but generally if you buy the cheapes stuff you can find it will have pesticides and axcessive chemicals just like the cheap foods we eat. A high quality whey isolate or casein supplement is very good for you though, just thing of it as food extract.

OK, sounds good. If I want to do some extra stuff too, can I just do all that stuff plus the 'useless' stuff I do now? Although it might now do anything... I personally have seen results so maybe I could continue that as well?

And yeah, so far the Immortal circuit does nothing but tire me out and feel like pure cardio... don't need cardio, already run, play lacrosse and tennis and basketball for that.

And do those four big lifts help with aesthetic muscle too? While I'm looking to improve size and overall core strength, I'm also trying to look good

The big lifts will help build just about everything, including your beach muscles if that's your thing.

You always have the option of adding accessory work, but more is usually not better and following the program as written will provide great results. It might look like low volume, but progressive resistance and intensity is what is going to trigger growth.

You've probably seen some results because when you first start lifting, absolutely anything is better than nothing. Unfortunately you'll have less options for progression as you get bigger and stronger.

I would max out on your 4 main lifts in the next week so you at least know where you are at.

Top Bottom