Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Legal Question: 4th Amendment

OK, here's the situation. The cops are called to a traffic accident. Upon arriving at the scene, they notice a strong odor of marijuana coming from a house. They inspect the house from the outside while on the owner's property and notice a back door is open. They proceed to enter and find the motherload of pot. They then proceed to search the rest of the residence. No warrant has been obtained at this point.

The police chief claims that because the back door was open, the police had the right to enter under "special circumstances to secure the residence and inspect for violence".

I've never heard of any special circumstance allowing officers to enter a home "to secure it" because a door was open. You don't forfeit your 4th amendment rights by leaving your door open. Is the search legal? I say it's not. There was no consent from the resident, there were no exigent circumstances (nobody was even home), there was no warrant, and the police were not in "hot pursuit" of a suspect. Those are the only exceptions allowing a warrantless entry by the cops that I can find. Any lawyers on here that know otherwise?

Yes, I've studied Criminal Law (at the Academy), and if the door is open and they feel "anyone/anything" is in danger, - they can enter - NO warrant needed.

Just like if a cop walks by a house and hears a verbal dispute, and thinks someone is in danger - no warrant needed.

HOWEVER - items found inside while checking out one of these entries IS subject to scrutiny

Nice of you to stop by and tell us your story.........next time - shut the fukin door!

Yes, I've studied Criminal Law (at the Academy), and if the door is open and they feel "anyone/anything" is in danger, - they can enter - NO warrant needed.

Just like if a cop walks by a house and hears a verbal dispute, and thinks someone is in danger - no warrant needed.

HOWEVER - items found inside while checking out one of these entries IS subject to scrutiny

Nice of you to stop by and tell us your story.........next time - shut the fukin door!

First off, cops cannot enter because they believe ANYTHING is in danger. It must be a person. Second, where was anyone in danger in my scenario? Nobody was home. It was just a house full of plants. How does that create exigent circumstances? Nice of you to stop by and tell us just how pathetic your police academy training is. Next time the cops should wait 30 minutes for the search warrant.

This story has no relation to me at all. They found more pot than Cheech and Chong could smoke in their entire lifetimes. The cops filled up a 4 meter U-Haul with the stuff.

First off, cops cannot enter because they believe ANYTHING is in danger. It must be a person. Second, where was anyone in danger in my scenario? Nobody was home. It was just a house full of plants. How does that create exigent circumstances? Nice of you to stop by and tell us just how pathetic your police academy training is. Next time the cops should wait 30 minutes for the search warrant.

This story has no relation to me at all. They found more pot than Cheech and Chong could smoke in their entire lifetimes. The cops filled up a 4 meter U-Haul with the stuff.

Your insults are pathetic...

Glad the cops found what they "smelled" from the street - at least someone is doing thier job

Also - ask around - thier seizure/entrance WAS legal - no need for the Warrant.

Smoke on Cheech..........

Your insults are pathetic...

Glad the cops found what they "smelled" from the street - at least someone is doing thier job

Also - ask around - thier seizure/entrance WAS legal - no need for the Warrant.

Smoke on Cheech..........

It wasn't my shit. If I was related to it I sure as hell wouldn't be typing about it on a chat board. I'm actually pissed because the suspect has a violent past and our redneck hillbilly cops failed to properly bust him. Now he walks and will likely kill someone.

And I have a feeling that a bad lawyer could get this case tossed out of court. A good lawyer could not only get the case tossed out, but could turn around and sue the officers for a civil rights violation.

It wasn't my shit. If I was related to it I sure as hell wouldn't be typing about it on a chat board. I'm actually pissed because the suspect has a violent past and our redneck hillbilly cops failed to properly bust him. Now he walks and will likely kill someone.

And I have a feeling that a bad lawyer could get this case tossed out of court. A good lawyer could not only get the case tossed out, but could turn around and sue the officers for a civil rights violation.

Highly unlikely, but you should've stated that in the original message, and it might have been met with more reception.

Also - this is a VERY slow time of the day/night here - so I will try and bump the thread for you in the morning for more answers.

Good luck

Top Bottom