Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

L-Carnitine

toga22

SideShow Freak
I have heard that this is an essential supplement during ketogenic dieting. Because a ketogenic diet causes a secondary deficiency in carnitine. There are low levels of protein, so there will be a lack of carnitine in the diet, while the increased intake of fat will cause an abnormal demand for carnitine. Carnitine deficiency, with potentially harmful side effects in terms of muscle weakness, confusion and angina.

Does anyone use this as a supplement or have heard this before? Do you see added benefits?

Thanks for any info you can give!!

~toga

A quote from this website: http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-049k.shtml

"Robert Crayhon, nutritionist, considers carnitine the single most important nutrient in his practice. Carnitine, a coenzyme similar to the family of B vitamins, is essential for the burning and transport of long-chain fatty acids, the fuel for cardiac energy. Up to 70% of energy produced by the muscles comes from the burning of fats. To expect normal functioning of heart muscles, the transport of carnitine into tissues is critical.

Lysine and cofactors yield about 25% of the carnitine the body needs for optimal performance. The remaining 75% can come from the diet, if food selections are made with a slant toward carnitine-rich foodstuffs, i.e., protein foods, especially mutton, lamb and beef. Interestingly, protein foods, those frequently shunned on a "heart healthy diet," raise HDL cholesterol and increase carnitine levels."

This quote sounds convincing, but I have also heard that oral L-carnitine supplementation has been ineffective at raising the amount of L-carnitine available to the muscles. Somehow, most of it ends up being metabolized. Maybe this is not true in a CKD, but I think you should take three approaches to be safe:

-supplement with up to 3g of L-carnitine per day (if you have the $)
-eat lots of mutton, lamb, and beef
-supplement with lysine and methionine (the precursers in mutton, lamb and beef that are required for carnitine synthesis)

If you do just two of these things, you definitely have nothing to worry about.

I have supplemented with L-carnitine before. I used it because I thought that by mobilizing fatty-acids during exercise, I could have more stamina in my high-intensity circuit training and cardio. I took 3g per day, and didn't notice any effect. I took 1.5 grams throughout the day, and 1.5 grams 60-90 minutes before my workout. I did things consistently and remembered how long into my workouts I felt my energy declining significantly. L-carnitine didn't have any effect, and it was really expensive.

Taking L-carnitine pills might not even be the best way to boost L-carnitine levels. Eating red meat and taking lysine and methionine might be more effective... L-carnitine injections?

Top Bottom