Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Java Programmers click here

Puc said:
download suns jdk

i think it is java.sun.com

It's great.
But you have to register in the Sun Developer's Program or something.

But it's worth it.
 
Ok thanks, Will this be good to learn java on though?

I'm starting a Computer Science degree in Spetember so I'm trying to learn a bit of Java before i start.

btw, I couldn't find the download link on that site.
 
HappyScrappy said:
Over on the right where it says "downloads"
http://java.sun.com/


Yeah I can see that, but which onw do I download from the list?

Is it 'Solaris JDK version 1', and if so which platform so i choose, SPARC or INTEL?

p.s. What the hell is a platform? This stuff means nothing to me.
 
nevertoobig said:


p.s. What the hell is a platform? This stuff means nothing to me.

Hmm, maybe a tutorial would be better.

But I don't know of a website or free downloads that are tutorials.

I have the following books on my shelf for java:

Java In Nutshell
Thinking in Java
Java Cookbook
Java Webservices
 
the platform is operating system that you will want to use it on.

Solaris is a type of Unix - sometimes schools let the comp sci people use a Sun lab (machines that are running Solaris), or you have a shell account on a Solaris server (meaning you access it from your own computer over the net).

If you want to program on your own system, you are likely Windows - so you will want that.

Go to this link:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/download.html

And in the second line, "Windows (all languages, including English)" - click under the "SDK" link and download from there.

That will install the SDK for you, which will have the compiler in there.

Once that is installed, you can use a regular text editor to ceate "whateverFileName.java" files.
When you want to compile those, you type javac and the filename ("javac whateverFileName.java").
That will then create a class file - "whateverFileName.class".
Then if you want to execute that as a command line deal - you can do "java whateverFileName" - but you have to have it setup as a main class.
You can also create applets that can be viewed in a web page.

If you want it to be a little easier - download an editor.
www.netbeans.org has a really good one - it itself is all done in java.

Also - check the tutorials and they have very smalls steps to go through it all.
 
Code said:


Hmm, maybe a tutorial would be better.

But I don't know of a website or free downloads that are tutorials.

I have the following books on my shelf for java:

Java In Nutshell
Thinking in Java
Java Cookbook
Java Webservices

Those books are okay - but Sun has pretty extensive online toutorials:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/

There is also JavaWorld.com and any number of other ones on the net as well.


The best way to learn is try to figure out some problem that you want to solve - and then solve it via programming - then learn how to program that.

Like say you want to learn how to write out to the screen "Code sucks balls!" over and over again for 1000 iterations - that would be a start. It will teach you the println command, and about for loops - and along with that, you will learn about ints and Strings.
 
nevertoobig said:


Yeah I can see that, but which onw do I download from the list?

Is it 'Solaris JDK version 1', and if so which platform so i choose, SPARC or INTEL?

p.s. What the hell is a platform? This stuff means nothing to me.

well, what operating system do you have on your computer? windows? unix/linux? mac? other?

here is a link to a very basic java introductory tutorial:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2000/jw-0331-java101.html?

you can check the other tutorials, q & a, etc on the site. it is a very good java related site.

btw, what computer knowledge do you have?
 
yeah, if you need any manuals or books (not the free kind..the kind you get in a book store), let me know. i know where to download them for free...just like happyscrappy's program
 
Thanks everyone for your help.

The only programming I've done was in Pascal for a school computing project (I got an A in it, so it can't have been that bad).


Millie said:


btw, what computer knowledge do you have?

Well I'm an expert at Solitaire and Freecell, does that count?
 
:) in this case you should better focus on the introductory tutorials and articles, just so that you can get a basic idea what java is all about before you start school. object oriented programming is quite different from structured programming, and i don't think it's a good idea to try and grasp it on your own, especially since you don't have a lot of structured programming experience either. let your professor explain it to you first.

hey p0ink, i would be interested in "that secret place" where i could download some bookstore books. would you be willing to share the info?
 
nevertoobig said:
Ok thanks, Will this be good to learn java on though?

I'm starting a Computer Science degree in Spetember so I'm trying to learn a bit of Java before i start.

btw, I couldn't find the download link on that site.

Don't unless you already know how to code - they will teach you a different coding style at uni. I knew C before I started and it didn't help me. Spend the extra time increasing your Half Life skills :).
 
circusgirl said:


Don't unless you already know how to code - they will teach you a different coding style at uni. I knew C before I started and it didn't help me. Spend the extra time increasing your Half Life skills :).

I'll keep that in mind.
 
supernav said:
Isn't Java dead now? I'd use the time to learn ASP, ISAPI, .NET, ActiveX and FLASH.

Even XML and Bluetooth ain't going anywhere. This fantasy dream of everyone buying meals off their cell phones sure never happened. Most i'll do is check email on my cell.

-= nav =-

uhhh... yeah.

Flash is gonna be used in all enterprise systems now.

lol.
 
supernav said:
Only Java is see is still 99% the little java scripts you see on websites. Most hardcore applications are still written in Oracle, C, C++, ISAPI, VBScript, C#, etc.

bodybuilders having a geek fight. This'll be fun. :)

might as well join lambda lambda lambda... :)

-= nav =-

:lmao:

I think you haven't seen many of the apps out there. Java sucks for anything standalone b/c you can always get to the actual source from the class files by easy deompilation, and like you said, it is slow.

That said, it is as fast or faster than C++ for back end business processing (J2EE sorts of things).
For server side distributed computing, it is king for how fast you can write it, how easily it integrates, and speed for relative cost (writing in C is going to result in a faster executable - but if it takes you half a day longer to write, then it might not be worth it from an economic standpoint if the gains in speed aren't crucial to your app - if your process executes in under a second in Java, and under a second in C - it is all relative if that is good enough or if you need every fraction that you can get).

the fact of the matter is that supercomputers will continue to not use Java - but as far as back end business systems, Java is king.
every telecom company, every banking, many high web data manipulation (eBay, Amazon, etc), as well as scientific stuff.
The points at which is doesn't proce practical are in the real time cryptography apps, as well as graphics systems.


I still find it amusing that you had Flash on the list. You have a very front end biased view of programming.

werd.
 
Last edited:
HappyScrappy said:


:lmao:

I think you haven't seen many of the apps out there. Java sucks for anything standalone b/c you can always get to the actual source from the class files by easy deompilation, and like you said, it is slow.

That said, it is as fast or faster than C++ for back end business processing (J2EE sorts of things).
For server side distributed computing, it is king for how fast you can write it, how easily it integrates, and speed for relative cost (writing in C is going to result in a faster executable - but if it takes you half a day longer to write, then it might not be worth it from an economic standpoint if the gains in speed aren't crucial to your app - if your process executes in under a second in Java, and under a second in C - it is all relative if that is good enough or if you need every fraction that you can get).

the fact of the matter is that supercomputers will continue to not use Java - but as far as back end business systems, Java is king.
every telecom company, every banking, many high web data manipulation (eBay, Amazon, etc), as well as scietific stuff.
The points at which is doesn't proce practical are in the real time cryptography apps, as well as graphics systems.


I still find it amusing that you had Flash on the list. You have a very front end biased view of programming.

werd.

How long have you been programming HS?

I'm just getting worried now that I might reach your level of nerdiness. :mix: j/k
 
lol

I graduated college in '99 and programmed for the 4 years I was there plus a little bit in high school too.

so by my math, that is like... 3 days?
 
computer geeks unite! :D

i agree with what HappyScrappy said. Java is great for the middle layer, the business logic.

oh, and supernav, there is a big difference between java and javascript. and i have yet to see a "hardcore application" written in VBScript. not to mention that Oracle is not a programming language.

... ok, i will shut up now ;)
 
Top Bottom