Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do you combat too much estrogen in a woman?

On the isolated issue of Estrogen and fat:

Cliff Notes:
Yohimbe appears to be useful in reducing "estrogenic" fat deposits.

Detail:
-fat cells that have a high density of E2 are harder to shrink

-estrogen increases the number of E2 dense cells and is also an E2 agonist (activates the receptor)

-women generally have higher E2 dense fat cells in love handles and thighs (and i think boobs )

-norepinephrine plays an important role in fat loss.

-both norepinephrine (NE) and estrogen (per above) bind to E2 receptors and tell the body to stop producing more of the fat-loss beneficial NE.

-Yohimbe is an E2 antagonist. blocks the E2 receptor without activating it and therefore without activating the negative feedback loop which inhibits NE production.

-there are topical local fat loss products based on this concept, and also oral yohimbe would work.

p.s. some of the above is based on studys, some on relatively conservative extrapolation . but the feedback on results from yohimbe based topicals is pretty solid across different boards.

Mavafanculo said:
On the isolated issue of Estrogen and fat:

-women generally have higher E2 dense fat cells in love handles and thighs (and i think boobs )

i believe also that women with high progesterone will have higher dense fat cells in abdomen. will see this more frequently in post menopausal women.

GUARDIAN said:
i believe also that women with high progesterone will have higher dense fat cells in abdomen. will see this more frequently in post menopausal women.

are you calling me a fat ass? ;-)

AMG, which country does your friend live in? Can she get access to a blood test?

Also, oestrogen is always painted as the 'baddie' as far as fat loss goes.

This is not true. I would have to find the paper again, but oestrogen is one of the triggers for growth hormone.

Also, I just found this:

Gao Q, Horvath T. Crosstalk between estrogen and leptin signaling in the hypothalamus. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Mar 11 [Epub ahead of print]

Comparative Medicine, Yale University, New haven, Connecticut, United States.

Obesity, characterized by enhanced food intake (hyperphagia) and reduced energy expenditure that results in the accumulation of body fat, is a major risk factor for various diseases including diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer. In the United States, more than half of adults are overweight and this number continues to increase (Flegal et al., 2002). The adipocyte secreted hormone, leptin, and its downstream signaling mediators play crucial roles in the regulation of energy balance. Leptin decreases feeding while increasing energy expenditure and permitting energy-intensive neuroendocrine processes (such as reproduction).

Thus, leptin also modulates the neuroendocrine reproductive axis. The gonadal steroid hormone, estrogen, plays a central role in the regulation of reproduction and also contributes to the regulation of energy balance.

Estrogen deficiency promotes feeding and weight gain, and estrogen facilitates and to some extent mimics some actions of leptin.

In this review, we examine the function of estrogen and leptin in the brain, with a focus on mechanisms by which leptin and estrogen cooperate in the regulation of energy homeostasis. Key words: estradiol, leptin, crosstalk.

The paper is quite technical, but these are the take home points.

1. Oestrogen and leptin seem to have a similar effect on the hypothalamus in reducing the desire to eat and reducing fat stores.

2. Oestrogen is not the 'baddie'. It does result in female pattern fat storage, but to think that eliminating oestrogen will result in fat loss is simplistic, reductionist and not how the body works. If this was the case, then women who hit menopause would lose weight, whereas the opposite is generally true. Similarily, those who have had their period stop due to low body fat should find additional fat loss a lot easier, and it isn't.

AMGETR said:
I have a friend with a family member in their mid 30's that lives in a country where the medical system isn't as good as in North America.

She's producing too much estrogen, and has gained roughly 30kgs in the last 12 months.

How could she control this? Proviron or another anti-estrogen? What about HGH?

have her check her thyroid levels

Tatyana said:
Also, oestrogen is always painted as the 'baddie' as far as fat loss goes.

This is not true. I would have to find the paper again, but oestrogen is one of the triggers for growth hormone.

Also, I just found this:

Gao Q, Horvath T. Crosstalk between estrogen and leptin signaling in the hypothalamus. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008 Mar 11 [Epub ahead of print]

Comparative Medicine, Yale University, New haven, Connecticut, United States.

Obesity, characterized by enhanced food intake (hyperphagia) and reduced energy expenditure that results in the accumulation of body fat, is a major risk factor for various diseases including diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer. In the United States, more than half of adults are overweight and this number continues to increase (Flegal et al., 2002). The adipocyte secreted hormone, leptin, and its downstream signaling mediators play crucial roles in the regulation of energy balance. Leptin decreases feeding while increasing energy expenditure and permitting energy-intensive neuroendocrine processes (such as reproduction).

Thus, leptin also modulates the neuroendocrine reproductive axis. The gonadal steroid hormone, estrogen, plays a central role in the regulation of reproduction and also contributes to the regulation of energy balance.

Estrogen deficiency promotes feeding and weight gain, and estrogen facilitates and to some extent mimics some actions of leptin.

In this review, we examine the function of estrogen and leptin in the brain, with a focus on mechanisms by which leptin and estrogen cooperate in the regulation of energy homeostasis. Key words: estradiol, leptin, crosstalk.

The paper is quite technical, but these are the take home points.

1. Oestrogen and leptin seem to have a similar effect on the hypothalamus in reducing the desire to eat and reducing fat stores.

2. Oestrogen is not the 'baddie'. It does result in female pattern fat storage, but to think that eliminating oestrogen will result in fat loss is simplistic, reductionist and not how the body works. If this was the case, then women who hit menopause would lose weight, whereas the opposite is generally true. Similarily, those who have had their period stop due to low body fat should find additional fat loss a lot easier, and it isn't.

Insightful post Tatyana. Many of the woman I know both young and old can relate to these theories. Plus I always appreciate when there is a source I can refer too. Medscape is one of my favorite websites and that I subscribe to.

My pet peeve is there are too many people who are quick to give an opinion when you are talking to them or join in a conversation they know nothing about. When I ask them where they get their facts it's always I don't remember or it's from some magazine they were reading.
Drives me crazy.

Thank you for the reference. :heart:

ScottsBlonde said:
Insightful post Tatyana. Many of the woman I know both young and old can relate to these theories. Plus I always appreciate when there is a source I can refer too. Medscape is one of my favorite websites and that I subscribe to.

My pet peeve is there are too many people who are quick to give an opinion when you are talking to them or join in a conversation they know nothing about. When I ask them where they get their facts it's always I don't remember or it's from some magazine they were reading.
Drives me crazy.

Thank you for the reference. :heart:

You are welcome.

I just never think it is so clear cut, and most people put things into
good and bad, for example right now it is carbs, bad, protein, good, insulin bad, cortisol bad, oestrogen bad, testosterone good.

It is never that simple, it really isn't. The endocrinology is so complex and even how things like testosterone function in a woman's body is not entirely clear.

We didn't even know leptin existed 11 years ago, nor are we entirely clear on the functioning of things like melatonin or prolactin (as it is for more than just breast feeding).

They obviously serve a function, and they have served us well for millenium, so to all of a sudden think they are 'bad' is just short sited.

Women are running around trying to suppress their oestrogen without considering the impact this will have on the health of other things, like bone.

Top Bottom