Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

HIGH VITAMIN C DOSES 'MAY INCREASE CANCER RISK'....in the news!!!

danielson

Elite Mentor
Platinum
dont shoot the messenger, this came from the news on my homepage!!

HIGH VITAMIN C DOSES 'MAY INCREASE CANCER RISK'
12:43am Friday, 15th June 2001

Scientists believe large doses of vitamin C may raise the risk of cancer by triggering a biological process that damages DNA.

The US findings could explain why, contrary to expectations, vitamin C supplements have not been shown to offer any protection against cancer.

Previous research has already indicated that vitamin C can do harm as well as good.

In 1998 a study led by Professor Joseph Lunec at Leicester University showed that a vitamin C dose of 500mg can damage DNA, potentially increasing the risk of cancer and rheumatoid arthritis.

The new work by scientists at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, shows that vitamin C is capable of inducing the production of DNA-damaging chemical agents called genotoxins.

DNA mutations caused by these compounds have been found in a variety of tumours.

Dr Ian Blair, from the Centre for Cancer Pharmacology at the university, who led the research published in the journal Science, said: "It's possible that vitamin C isn't working in cancer prevention studies because it's causing as much damage as it's preventing, but that's really speculation at this point. What we can say is that vitamin C doesn't work when you expect it to."

Some experts in the past have recommended dietary supplements of vitamin C for treating and preventing cancer.

And many people routinely take vitamin C supplements for general health, often in very high doses of 1,000mg or more. The recommended daily intake in the UK is 60mg.

The US scientists stress there is no suggestion that a healthy intake of vitamin C causes cancer. But Dr Blair said: "Our message is that it's the total diet that's important, not just one antioxidant in isolation."

what bugs me is i was getting that daily if not more from orange juice.....shit! i gotta switch to apple juice, or water :(

I heard this on the radio this morning. I think they said that according to research you shouldn't take in more than 200mg of Vitamin C a day. Just like the report on creatine, this seems like just another case of scare-mongering.

All the vitamin C supplements that I've seen have at least 500mg per tablet. Many people have the thought that vitamin C is safe and all other vitamins are dangerous and those people have been taking mega doses of vitamin C for ever and non of them got cancer. I use to take vitamin C like candy years ago, because it tasted good, and according to my mom its the only safe vitamin supplement to consume. I took on an average of 3000mg a day, some days I would take like 20-30 500mg tabs,no joke. They tasted really good. Whether or not it can cause cancer, has anyone ever heard of people getting cancer from it?? Vitamin C supplements have been around for ever , I thought they were always considered the safest and Ive never heard of anyone getting a problem. I think there are so many things that cause cancer, if you were aware of everything little thing you would probably freak yourself out, well this is according to what someone said.

well, theres a lot of ftuff theyve been saying about the supplement industry, and from what i can tell a lot of its true:

i remeber someone saying that if u ingest more than like 320mg of vitamin C in one go, your kidneys will just excrete the excess. the supplement industry has been producing high vitamin C dosages by the bucket load as the dude that discovered it and synthesised it decided it would be good to 'megadose' on it. from what i can tell on my readings, its a very good antioxidant

BUT

when its concentrations increase above 500mg it stops showing antioxidant properties and ecomes a DAMAGING oxidant, and can cause athersclerosis in your cappiliaries (thats why there was a report a while back saying Vitamin C might clog up yer arteries), and if it were an oxdant it could feasably cause cancer. up until now, bowel cancers and other cancers nmight have been attributed to foods or additives, a fair % MIGHT have been caused by vitamin C. they have to research more.....

but even more scary is the suplement industry is very unregulated. ijn my superdrug they sell Vitamin E capsules at 4020% RDA!!!....now on the packet they say thats the most effecient dose.....but Vitamin E gets stroed in the liver and isnt excreted easily and can build up to toxic levels! i just lost all trust in the supps industry :( ...im just sticking with a multivit.

and what really bugs me is by this rational they would have to pribt warnings on orange juice caryons to stop shmucks like me drinking over a litre a day :kaikaioken:

damn..i think i take 3 1000mg vitimin C pills a day.. on top of whatever ese i eat that has vtitimin C

It probably is nothing to worry about since almost everyone does, even alot of the non-workout community takes that stuff

Its probably just hype, it seems whatever they want people to believe they will use the media to hype it whether its true or not or to what extent etc

its kinda funny actually chillin 408

i remember reading that article in the lancet about vitamin C reducing blood pressure, and then reading another article IN the lancet saying how excess vitamin C causes athersclerosis :confused:

oh well.... i guess we'll have to wait and see if anymore research is done :(

Top Bottom