Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

High Protein/Low-Fat Stuffed Shells

centeroiler

This is a dish I came up with experimenting with various healthy foods. I think it tastes even better than the traditional high-fat version (don't let my Italian Mother know I said that) and doesn't give you that "heavy" feeling. Feel free to experiement. Eating good doesn't have to be boring.

Low Fat/High Protein Stuffed Shells:
Ingredients:

1-2 Box(s) of (preferably Whole Grain*) large pasta shells.
1-Pint Low or Fat Free Cottage Cheese**.
1-Lb. Lean Ground Turkey
1-2 Cans Diced Tomatoes (No sugar added)
1-2 Cans Tomato Sauce (No Sugar added)
1- Onion
1- Green and/or Red Bell Pepper
1- Clove Garlic
1- Bag Fat Free Mozzerella Cheese
1- Lot Spices

Preparation:
Boil your shells per intructions
Brown Turkey in a skillet with no added oil.
Simmer your sauce in a pot to get it warm/hot.
Dice your onion, pepper and garlic and add to the simmering sauce to extract the most flavor.
Take your Turkey and drain as much fat as possible (you can boil this instead).
Add turkey to sauce and simmer.
Add spices to the simmering sauce (basil, oregano, salt, pepper, etc.) to taste. Don't add too much though because as it simmers the flavors get stronger.
Take your Cottage Cheese and drain as much water as you can. I usually let it drain for a 1/2 hour with the cover slightly ajar so I don't spill it. Mix Cottage cheese with about a 1/2 cup Fat-Free Mozzarella (you can add veggies and spices to this as well).
Take your cooked shells and stuff them full with Cottage Cheese mix.
Layer a (preferably glass) cooking pan with your shells.
Sprinkle some Mozzerella over them.
Add your sauce making sure all the shells are covered.
Pour a layer of Mozzarella on top
Bake at 350-400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until its bubbling and melted. (then cover with foil to keep it from drying).

Serve it with some Whole Grain toasted bread with O calorie "I can't believe its not Butter" spray and some garlic powder. And, a nice tossed salad with Wish Bone Salad Spritzers dressing and ........maybe a nice glass of wine.

Bon Appetite!
P.S. Go easy on the wine!

* "Whole-Wheat" does not mean "Whole Grain"! Check your labels carefully. I love
"Heartland" brand Whole Grain Pasta @ Walmart.
**Cottage Cheese is a superior High Protein source.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom