Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

help me figure out this damn label?

arnoldk

I have a premier nutrition low carb/high protein bar here. I will add first that they are quite tasty-all of them. Ok so it says there are 260 cals, 7g's fat, 6g's carbs, 30g's protein yadda yadda. Then I look at the ingredients and dextrose is in there? Isnt dextrose basically all carbs/sugars and HI glycemic index rating? Are they trying to fool you into low carb bar and hit you with this? I dont get it? Is this truly a low carb/sugar glycemic index rating bar?

It is truly a low-carb bar, assuming that it meets the label claims. If dextrose is listed in the ingredient list then that only means that the bar contains dextrose, but because the bar is has only 6 grams of carbs, then it should have no more dextrose than than 6 grams--probably less since protein sources have carbs and so do the other things in the ingredients. There is also sugar alcohol's in that bar that are not listed under carbs, but are included in the total calories. Vitamin tablets have dextrose in them, but the amount is very small. The ingredients are listed in order of greatest quantity (don't know what measurement, though?),starting with the greatest and ending with the least.

Bars Suck

Keep in mind that in general, bars suck, but sometimes that's all you've got. Almost all use "hydrolyzed protein" or some other similar named filler. This is basically gelatin which is made from ground cow hooves. Its not the kind of protein you are looking for, but when analyzed at the lab, it does include the nitrogen (I believe) content of a protein and is therefore counted in the protein total for the bar. Jell-O doesn't claim any protein on their label, but they aren't trying to sell a protein product.

The other popular "gotcha" is glycerin. It is used as a filler to keep the bar moist and hold it together. Each gram of glycerin has about four calories. From what I have read, it is basically a simple carb, but the FDA does not (yet) require it to be labeled as such. The problem here is that it would significantly raise the carb level of otherwise lo-carb bars. This is usually where all of the other calories are when you subtract protein, carbs & fat from the calorie total.

B-Mac

Top Bottom