Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help - I've reached a plateau

Heys guys,

Just looking for some advice from you. Having read some of the threads, there are definitely some experts and pros on this board so I'd really value your input.

I started training at the beginning of the year, following a 3-way split routine - push/pull/legs'n'abs, and have made astonishing strength gains (imho) for a newbie. After 5 months, I've doubled my strength for most exercises (eg. bent over row 90lbs x 8 reps, squat 270lbs x 8 reps). Squatting 270lbs may not sound huge, but when I could barely squat 140 at the beginning of the year, it's a massive achievement for me.

However, I'm the impatient type and expect to continue to make gains, although I know deep down that this is never the case. For the last two weeks, I've made no gains and have actually lost strength on my pull exercises. My guess is that I'm overtraining, so I've cut down from a "3 on 1 off" to alternate days, to give more recovery and growth time between sessions. I also think that my increases have peaked on the routine that I'm using, and maybe I should try something different to stimulate further gains.

The other strange thing...I started off at 170lbs at the beginning of the year with 12% bodyfat...I'm now up to 190lbs with 9% bodyfat. Most of that gain was in the first three months though. I find it strange that I'm continuing to get stronger but my weight had stayed at 190lbs for the last 2 months! I'm eating lots of good protein (fish, chicken, beef) and carbs (potatoes, pasta) in 4 meals a day plus 2 Myoplex shakes (one in the morning and one post-workout). 4000 calories a day on average plus 5-6 liters of water.

Am I simply being too impatient? What gains should I expect to continue to see now that I've reached a good all-round base strength level? Guys in the gym have told me I should spend a couple of months at maintenance-level (lower weight, more reps) and then go mental again in a few months...is this good advice?

Thanks guys.

Jamie / LondonClubberGuy

Actually since you are new to the game, you will never make gains as fast as when you initially start training or if you take a few months layoff and start training again.

You really are not at a plateau yet, two weeks isn't necessarily a sticking point. Give yourself a couple more weeks and keep patient.

Plus great job so far.

As Wodin said, the best gains you make are when you first begin. If you're looking for mass gains, remember, your body makes the gains during your off days so going to the gym more will not help. I think 3 on 1 off is to little time for your body to recoup from the previous on day. I recomend that for the next 2 weeks, only go weight lift 1-2 days/week. That will give your body more recovery time form the exercise you have been doing. After that, (and I assuming you're not on AS) weight train on a 1 on 2 day off cycle. If you continue with the schedule you're on, you won't make any gains because you're not giving your body enough time to recouperate.

Top Bottom