Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Good Mornings vs. Deadlifts

keiko

Do Good Mornings work your glutes differently than deadlifts? Is one better than the other? Can some expert elucidate?

I never see anyone at my kickboxing gym doing Good Mornings.

------------------
It's not funny, like on TV, and it's not smart, like it is in books.

IMO good mornings are useless except if you are doing very specific training. stick with stiff leg deadlift and hyperexentions for lower back, squats and SLDL for the booty...

I respect your opinion and all, Valdez, but why only stiff-leggeds? Why not hit the regular deadlifts. They're the greatest measure of overall power and strength and, as such, are the best way to build overall power and strenght. I'd say to do the full-fledged deadlifts. Although, I do agree that good mornings are more or less useless.

Please o please tell me why you think that the goodmorning is a useless exercise. I would like to know your reasoning.

------------------
m.pstm.8106.e.jpg

"I'm having an old friend for dinner."

it has it's place it's not useless per se, it's not a bodybuilder's exercise it is a specific strength exercise that can help strengthen key areas for squat and deadlift totals in powerlifting.

this is why I think SLDL and hyperextensions to be completely superior: in a good morning you place the bar on your traps behind the neck and and feet about shoulder width. it is all a matter of leverage, in the starting position there is zero stress on the target muscles, and when bending forward the bar is not in as good of a position to fall with gravity and work the muscle as SLDL or hyperextensions. also you cannot use as much weight. Leverage being the key. it is also my opinion and preference thus the IMO disclaimer.

Originally posted by Valdez:
it has it's place it's not useless per se, it's not a bodybuilder's exercise it is a specific strength exercise that can help strengthen key areas for squat and deadlift totals in powerlifting.

I agree with ya man. Being a powerlifter it is my job to "defend" the goodmoring as being a worthwhile exercise. Besides there are several variation to the "rounded back" gm that you described.

------------------
m.pstm.8106.e.jpg

"I'm having an old friend for dinner."

Personally I like to do the goodmornings with my Squat day and Stiff legs with Deadlift day if Im doing them on seperate days. Keeping the exercises that accent each other together. So it wouldnt be a question of Goodmorning versus deadlift should be what exercise to accompany deadlift. Deadlift and Squat should be your key exercise and should use the other as a secondary. As far as glutes,back and hams....Deadlifts followed by SLDL I feel work the best(also quads but not as much). Squats followed by GM I feel work the quads,lower back and hams more(also the glutes just not as much).

From My Droid MoFo!

Top Bottom