Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DO I need to count calories and weigh food?

VooDoo Lady

As I mentioned, I am becoming very comfortable with the contents of my clean diet - but I'm now a little concerned about the quantity.

Do you guys weigh/measure food? Or do you just eat until you're satisfied?

VDL

P.S. I'm not really in a 'cutting' phase right now, but I am looking to lower bf% in general...but building more muscle is higher on the list right now.

I weigh just about everything on an electronic digital scale. Throw on a bowl, tare it and dump in the food. I do this just to keep intake consistent. Only takes seconds.

W6

Had to resurrect this one because I don't think I asked my Q clearly...

I feel very in-tune with my body and I am very confident that when I FEEL hungry, it is actual hunger (my body requesting nutrients from my mouth)....and not emotional issues.

With that said - If I am counting calories wouldn't that impair my ability to respond to my body's needs??

Here's what I have been eating:

8am Oatmeal with nat PB (1/2 cup
10am part of my grilled chicken and steamed veggie lunch
12 the rest of my lunch (usually it’s 11/2 boneless breast total, and lots of broccoli and some carrots)
3pm protein bar
6 dinner - chicken and veggies usually
8pm protein bar

When I am extra hungry during the day I will eat a banana, apple, small box of raisins, another packet of oatmeal or something similar during the day. I also recently purchased some protein shake samples and will be getting a blender soon so I can replace one of the bars with a shake.

Can I get a little feedback??

Thanks guys.....

VDL

"I am very confident that when I FEEL hungry, it is actual hunger (my body requesting nutrients from my mouth)....and not emotional issues"

Man......where do these rationalizations come from?

Feeling hungry may have nothing to do with emotional issues. Appetite per se is regulated in a complex way (gut peptides, fat cell signals, neurotransmitters, etc.) and is very individualized. From what I see, most people that respond to their “body requesting nutrients from their mouth” are fat. Forget that concept.

That is the reason you use body composition assessment, not your body’s idea of what you should put in your mouth, same with your emotions.

Find the caloric intake that keeps you at the body composition you desire, within reason (12 – 17% lean for women) and then base your dietary intake on that. Eat what it takes to maintain that and I guarantee that your body will want more, or test your hypothesis. Eat what your body wants for a year, then tell us if your body composition is where you want it to be.

I’ll bet that you’ll end up choosing to weigh your food and base intake on body composition vs listening to your body at the end of one year, maybe much less.

“When I am extra hungry during the day I will eat a banana, apple, small box of raisins”…..

Bad choices, esp the small box of raisins. Can’t think of a better way to spike insulin, drop blood sugar in an hour and maintain the hunger cycle. Great way to make sure no fat is oxidized as well. Avoid simple sugars when you’re hungry. Use some vegetables and a little more chicken breast.

W6

grrrrrrr

Thanks for setting me straight. I tend to get a bit cocky way b4 I have the right to be :rolleyes:

I'm so overwhelmed right now....I'm trying to do the right thing, I'm trying to take it to the next level.....but I am FAR from a nutritionist and the extent on my knowledge is limited to what I have learned from you guys.

The food I have listed is acceptable? (with the exception of the apple, banana, and raisins, which I don't eat that often anyway, all of the water I drink + Hydroxycut has my appetite down to nothing)

Where have you all picked up your extensive knowledge of nutrition and exercise?? I am just in awe sometimes of the conversations you all have. Quite impressive.

VDL = pathetic NEWBIE

You have to decide what your ultimate goal is..if you want to gain some muscle and are not using...you are going to put on a little bit of bf....Your eating to many protein bars!! They should only be for emergencies etc...the more real food you eat the better off you are going to be. Snacks should be tuna, hard boiled eggs, a few peanuts, or just some good ol meat! You can not go wrong w/ clean protein...if you get hungry eat a chicken breast...eating little snacks the way you are is not going to leave you feeling satisfied at all.

You have to EAT to fuel..not really for pleasure..pleasure once in a while but not overboard..can get you into trouble. If you are looking to cut, rotate your carb intake..keep carbs complex and stay away from simple sugars!! Make sure you are training hard, and doing a little bit of cardio as well. There are tons of sample diets posted, I weigh all of my food before I cook it. Keep things simple, sometimes we make things more difficult than they really are:)

Top Bottom