Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Correcting Forms at the Gym

PickMe69

We typically think of correcting a strangers form at the gym as some kind of tabboo but I don't understand why. I was watching this younger, obviously inexperienced couple bench pressing today, very flat back, pushing the weight almost down rather than in a more inclined motion and it occurred to me... why do we not help other people at the gym?

On this site particularly, we are always stressing how important technique is and the correct technique for lifts and though there is some controversy on exactly what "correct" means with some lifts, especially with all the different variations of lifts that exists, most of us that have been lifting for quite some time and actually know what we are doing, enough to know if someone is just hurting themself.

I propose we change that.

I'm sure if done in a polite manner, correcting particularly horrible forms can be accomplished and we won't have to complain about all the ill informed people. Not to mention, if it becomes more commonplace, correct forms will be more commonplace and people will have less back and knee problems, experience better health, and see better results. (or are we supposed to be hogging all those benefits...)

Unfortunately kindness is not perceived the same way as it is intended.. I have Bsc in Exercise science and worked as a Computer Engineer. I have herniated disc issues since 2005 and currently suffering from Semi Paralysis on my left leg due to a severe Sciatica flare that I encountered recently. WIth this said, I look like anybody else in the Gym, since I cant really work out with the on going pain. Left the Body building scene, but very happy with my Cardio training, stretching and Martial arts.

I approach people with the best attitude possible, but alas to no avail... I gave up. Some of these lumpen literally you can tell, they don't know their elbow from rear end and the look they give you... I approached a young Woman, who's cheesey thighs were literally protruding out of her tight pants and she said to me.. "If I didn't know what I was doing, Would I look like this" Since then.. I said Never again...

It is a good thing to help others, but unfortunately we are a society of how you look, who you are (Famous or popular) no one gives a Rats Ass about your Brains and what you know... I will disagree with one thing though! Between Experience and Knowledge of Body Building and Weight training.. Always those with Knowledge should be allowed to give advises. Knowledge I mean School, or passing it on from someone who passed it on to you who is educated into this. Otherwise, many still continue with their BAD experience and pass it on as a Knowledge..

MHO!

Chakubanga, great post man! That's similar to what I've experienced. Last summer I had amazing results, I ended the summer at 6'2" 189lbs 8.4% BF but throughout my entire career I've had injuries that have set me back (usually from sports I've played: football, kickboxing, rugby - I know I need to stop playing contact sports) and that was the case this past year with rugby giving me a torn shoulder muscle and then the sciatica I also developed. I've got a degree in biochemistry, years of doing personal research, lifting experienced with world class trainers, and currently finishing my certification.

I will say that many people do seem to respect my opinions (I'm fairly well known in my community), but I watch them come in the gym and do the same stuff over and over without changing routines or diets, and they look the same month after month, or even year after year.

I understand not changing your whole routine over what one guy tells you (aside from that being excatly what I did when Onebreath gave me some advice when I was in High school on this forum), but correcting your form on a lift? Really!? I would love for someone to help me on my form, with everything I try to approach situations with the mindset that I'm always learning. Even when I'm on these forums and giving my opinions, I'm reading other people's opinons too and making corrections to my beliefs. Open mindedness is a virtue, not a statement that you are uneducated.

Let people find their own way. I know for a fact that if someone came up to me and tried to dress me down about my form I would probably blatantly ignore he or she until they walked away, or just say "Stop".

If it is a close friend of mine, of course I will chime in about how to improve their form based on what I am seeing. The line ends there though, even if I know the person fairly well, I know what they are trying to accomplish, and I know they are going about it the wrong way, I will be very hard pressed to offer any advice. However, if they ask for it, i'll tell them everything I know and then some.

Its just gym etiquette, MOST people do not like being approached by a stranger who thinks they know it all, regardless of whether they actually do or not, who tries to tell them what they are doing wrong.

It is awfully presumptions to walk up to somebody and imply that you know their goals, and you know how they can achieve them better than they do.

For a little disclaimer, I am someone who has a pretty good grip on what is good form and what is bad, what is effective, and what is just spinning your wheels. Just like everyone on this board, I have watched and cringed at people doing these abominations of the standard compound movements. I'm talking horrendous stuff, where I literally can't watch and have to look away.

However, I hold my tongue every time I see this because I believe that even with the best attentions, in the most polite manner, it is rude to walk up to someone you have never met and interfere with their workout.

I will when can tell are new and don't know what their doing but am polite and don't go onto too much detail. Usually is for squat deadlift or bent over rows where ppl have trouble that I see.

Sent from my DROID3 using EliteFitness

I'll help someone set up a machine if they look blatantly confused or bewildered...helped an older guy with lying hamstring curls yesterday actually
and complemented another guy on his amazingly perfect squat form...then joked I thought there was some sort of ban on correct squat form in that particular gym..dude was pleased at the compliment and joked around back at me about a cpl of other idiosyncrasies at the gym..I commented later to him to turn his elbows in a little on his bench but only because I saw him rubbing his elbows between sets and knew exactly what he was doing
he changed it and took it well...
he was doing something I used to do tho thats a really minor correction

I'd probably be unhappy and embarrassed if someone I didn't know tried to correct my form on something..but I'd likely still try it if I thought they knew what they were doing from watching them
of course..Im self conscious as hell in the weight room anyway because of my gender and generally disrespected by more than half the meat heads in there (because they don't know their asses from their elbows) that have no idea why Im always in there at the squat rack because they all do their squats on the smith..so clearly I have no brain

I help my buddies on a regular basis and welcome them to correct me. I do this because I want them to be the best they can and I want them to make me the best I can be. The last time I walked up to a pencil thin skeleton mofo doing quarter squats with a plate, he said this is the way that he does them. I said ok, and walked away. People like this arent worthy of my time. If they wanna stay puny and weak then let them. Now if someone asks for advice,Im more than willing to help, but I will never go out of my way again.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EliteFitness

But for some of you guys that are worried about people doing it to you, do you really think they will? miked, you've got the physique they aren't going to question and shirlene, your very fit yourself, I would highly doubt someone would approach you, and if your doing the form correctly then people won't unless they are just used to a variation, which could spark conversations that lead to just learning about different techniques. My physique-esq and age group type of lifters would probably be more likely to know what they are doing yet be corrected the most because they have athletic builds but not body builder status, therefore people don't think we really know what we are doing.

This was just a thought I had. I wanted to share it and see if I could get some good opinions, which these are.

P.S. Bad squatting form is what caused my sciatica... I wish someone would have corrected my form before (but by no means am I not taking responsibility for it, I had been taught correct squatting form and let it slide in favor of intensity)

Top Bottom