Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Correct Form

DaveNY

I know that I have to use perfect form for dangerous stuff like squats and deads. But other than that, what advantage/benefit does strict adherence to form give? The only thing I am really strict about is bi's. But I don't know if that's really paying off.

Some thoughts please...

DaveNY :fro:

There is nothing that makes me more angry than bad form in the gym. If you can't add muscle by using good form, your not going to do it any other way. For me the most important thing about training is good form. In order to do this you have to throw out your ego when in the weight room. For me using less weight with excellent form rather than a heavier weight with bad form is the key point in my training. I never use a weight that I can't handle properly. By using a heavy weight without good form just risks injury and gives you a false sense of strength. If you are going to cheat do it on the last reps, but do it with control. Swinging and jerking the body in an attempt to move a heavy weight is just a waste of energy. If you don't use good form you will miss out on most of the gains you could be making by not isolating the muscle and completing a full range of motion.

what advantage or benefit does proper form give? Why are you training? Isn't it to stress the muscles you're training that day? If it's bi day, why cheat & make it a 'sorta back day'? Or use lousy form on bench & make it a 'calf' day? Cheating does not bring better results- it just look stupid.
I never go out with a guy I've seen use sloppy form in the gym- no self-discipline/too much ego.
2 words: FORM FIRST!
No shortcuts.

Re: Re: Correct Form

flex4life said:

I never go out with a guy I've seen use sloppy form in the gym- no self-discipline/too much ego..

teehee... i never go out with a guy i meet in the gym period... i really don't want that to be the first place that he sees me grunt and sweat if you know what a i mean :)

sorry back to the topic at hand...

USE GOOD FORM... i've seen guys pull their back to bi curls... stupid stupid stupid...

Well said Sniper. :beer:

I've worked in two gyms, not to mention being a member of several and in college. I can't freakin' stand it when guys are throwing shit around, swinging, totally out of control and looking like they're about to throw their back out of alignment (i.e. lat pulldowns/seated rows). Either they don't know what in the hell they're doing (look around at other people or better yet, ask a trainer!) or they're trying to show off using too heavy of weight and end up looking like assholes.

Use strict form to make sure you're hitting the intended muscle, powerful lifting portion (in control though) and lower slowly getting a good negative. Grunt, groan, strain & sweat all you like while lifting, just make sure you're doing it right or you'll just end up looking like a idiot and missing out on faster gains.

And Phemomena - I see your point, but on the other hand, at least you know you wouldn't be surprised with what you'll see when the time comes for a little 1-on-1. "How hot & wet do you like it?" :p

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Correct Form

Phemomena said:

teehee... i never go out with a guy i meet in the gym period... i really don't want that to be the first place that he sees me grunt and sweat if you know what a i mean

Phem... you're so right- not the best first impression, but at least he will know I'm not a weak, wimpy, delicate, frail slacker!

Top Bottom