Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Contest Prep

johnny g

I am currently 220 lbs around 8 - 9 % bf (just tested with caliper). i am about 17 weeks out from my third show. This is the third time I take a crack at this show and my first two outtings were alittle disappointing. This year i am in the best shape I have ever been in.

I would like recommendations on a Diet. I usually do a low carb or zero carb with a weekend carb-up. BodyoPus was what I followed at the last prep. I come in way to flat and it looks like I loose 10 lbs the last two weeks and my workouts suffer. So I would like to take in carbs this time around but I am not sure how I should be tapering off as I get closer and closer to show time. Any Advice?

5 or 6 days of low carb with one or two carb up. Since you're so far out you have plenty of time to play around and see what happens. You should only go to near zero carbs 2-3 days out to kick all the water out (with carb up day before and day of show). Your low carb days at your size should be between 100-150 grams. Depending on when you train you should get half of those carbs as oats during your first meal. The other half should be split pre and/or post-workout.

A lot of competitors have this problem. Yes your carbs should be "low" but if you're under 60 or so grams a day you're going to be ketotic. Ketogenic diets ar used for seizure prophylaxis in pediatrics. It lowers your body's pH very slightly and this is thought to be protective against seizures. But that lower pH means you're bathing your hard earned muscle in an acidic medium. Protein denatures, muscle loss, etc. When you're training at such a high level (and doing a lot of cardio) you need some carbs. 100 grams a day is nothing and will still kep you burning fat. As far as what to carb up to, I usually go around 400-500, but also that's individualized. GO by the mirror.

Not sure how it works when running gear but I like to cycle rather than have a refeed every 5-6 days. I'm not that big, 5'8 180lbs, but I cycle 75g, 150g, 225 g with the high days coming on leg and back days. If you don't train that day, have a low day. This works well for me and you still get some carbs. I don't count the fibrous carbs, only the starches. Good luck.

Top Bottom