Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

casualbb bulking diet v. 1.0

casualbb

Plat Hero
Platinum
Here's my bulking diet based on the sort of foods I can picture myself eating. Thanks to everyone for their help, notably Debaser and bigdho for posting a lot of sample foods. Your input really helped me organize this in my head. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!

5 Meals total, not including pre-workout shake
With each meal: 1 glass water

Meal 1: Breakfast
-4 Eggs, boiled
-6 oz. Chicken
-1 bowl cheerios w/1 cup 2% milk
-another cup of 2% milk
----Supplements
-2 fish oil tablets for 2g of EFA’s

Calories: 900
P/C/F: 90, 60, 30

Meal 2: Lunch
-4 oz. Chicken
-1/2 cup oats
-2 tblspoon peanut butter
-1 cup 2% milk
-1 cup broccoli

Calories: 850
P/C/F: 70, 80, 30

Meal 3: Mid-afternoon snack (4:00 PM)
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 cup orange juice
-1/2 cup Ravioli, meat-filled, with tomato sauce
----Supplements:
-Creatine

Calories: 500
P/C/F: 45, 45, 13

**If workout day, Add: Pre-workout**
-1 additional cup orange juice
-1 scoop optimum whey

Calories: 225
P/C/F: 23/30/2

Meal 4: Dinner, Post-workout
-8 oz. Beef/chicken/fish
-1 cup mashed potatos
-1 cup broccoli
-2 cups 2% milk
-Dessert (200 cal or less)

Calories: 1000
P/C/F: 90/120/40

Meal 5: Before bed
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 banana
-1 bowl cheerios w/1 cup 2% milk
-Another cup 2% milk
-1 cup broccoli
----Supplements:
-2 fish oil tablets


Calories: 720
P/C/F: 75/75/15

Non-workout day totals:
Total Calories: 3950-4000
Total grams P/C/F: 370/380/130
Calories from Protein: 1480
Calories from Carb: 1520
Calories from Fat: 1175
Macronutrient ratios, Carb/Protein/Fat: 38/37/25 (almost 40/30/30)

Workout day totals:
Total Calories: 4200
Total Grams P/C/F: 390/395/132
Calories from Protein: 1560
Calories from Carb: 1580
Calories from Fat: 1188
Macronutrient ratios, Carb/Protein/Fat: 39/38/23
 
Awesome, you're even eating more than I originally outlined. This is a good thing, but remember that consistancy is the key.
 
casualbb said:
Here's my bulking diet based on the sort of foods I can picture myself eating. Thanks to everyone for their help, notably Debaser and bigdho for posting a lot of sample foods. Your input really helped me organize this in my head. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!

5 Meals total, not including pre-workout shake
With each meal: 1 glass water

Meal 1: Breakfast
-4 Eggs, boiled
-6 oz. Chicken
-1 bowl cheerios w/1 cup 2% milk
-another cup of 2% milk
----Supplements
-2 fish oil tablets for 2g of EFA’s

Calories: 900
P/C/F: 90, 60, 30

Meal 2: Lunch
-4 oz. Chicken
-1/2 cup oats
-2 tblspoon peanut butter
-1 cup 2% milk
-1 cup broccoli

Calories: 850
P/C/F: 70, 80, 30

Meal 3: Mid-afternoon snack (4:00 PM)
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 cup orange juice
-1/2 cup Ravioli, meat-filled, with tomato sauce
----Supplements:
-Creatine

Calories: 500
P/C/F: 45, 45, 13

**If workout day, Add: Pre-workout**
-1 additional cup orange juice
-1 scoop optimum whey

Calories: 225
P/C/F: 23/30/2

Meal 4: Dinner, Post-workout
-8 oz. Beef/chicken/fish
-1 cup mashed potatos
-1 cup broccoli
-2 cups 2% milk
-Dessert (200 cal or less)

Calories: 1000
P/C/F: 90/120/40

Meal 5: Before bed
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 banana
-1 bowl cheerios w/1 cup 2% milk
-Another cup 2% milk
-1 cup broccoli
----Supplements:
-2 fish oil tablets


Calories: 720
P/C/F: 75/75/15

Non-workout day totals:
Total Calories: 3950-4000
Total grams P/C/F: 370/380/130
Calories from Protein: 1480
Calories from Carb: 1520
Calories from Fat: 1175
Macronutrient ratios, Carb/Protein/Fat: 38/37/25 (almost 40/30/30)

Workout day totals:
Total Calories: 4200
Total Grams P/C/F: 390/395/132
Calories from Protein: 1560
Calories from Carb: 1580
Calories from Fat: 1188
Macronutrient ratios, Carb/Protein/Fat: 39/38/23


Good, but I see a few things that could make this even better.

Lose the cheerios in both meals........replace the am ones with another 1/2 cup of oats and the pm ones with some almonds or peanuts.

you got enough fat with the eggs and fish oils in meal one. Lose the 2% and either mix your oats in water and add in a protein scoop, or use skim/1%

the pasta and orange juice need to be dumped in your 3rd meal. I'd either use brown rice or a sweet potatoe. If you want pasta, use 100% whole wheat or a couple slice of bread. The juice can be replaced with H20.

I'd switch the PW shake to post workout and have a solid meal about an hr after. Maybe add in the gluc. instead of the OJ. Substitute the mashed potatoes with a yam or even sweet potatoes.

Dump the banana.......no need to restor liver glyogen at this time.......

I think a shake (casein) or glass of milk (warm makes you sleepy...lol) and some peanuts is a great pre-bed snack..........


Switch it up and I'll bet if you train hard, you'll see some sweet results......keep me posted haus.
 
Jkurz, fruit is important, whether your aim is liver glycogen or not.

Also, if anything I would add MORE fat to the diet. Not take it away.
 
Debaser said:
Jkurz, fruit is important, whether your aim is liver glycogen or not.

Also, if anything I would add MORE fat to the diet. Not take it away.
100% agree that fruit is important........IT'S NOT important before bed or in juices...........that's for sure....

As for adding fats, absolutely............just make them essentials.........try EFA or fish oils and peanuts!

2% is gar-bage...........IMO....just My opinion.............
 
I would replace some chicken with red meat
and cheerios with oat meal

BTW, how much do you weigh ?
and are you juicing ?
 
As important as EFA's are, saturated fat IS important as well.
 
Well....I am now adopting this diet...I have been looking to clean up my eating for awhile(no fast food, soda) and still want to grow..

I will be making a few minor changes but I bought all the food I need today!
 
;)
InTraining said:
Well....I am now adopting this diet...I have been looking to clean up my eating for awhile(no fast food, soda) and still want to grow..

I will be making a few minor changes but I bought all the food I need today!


Keep us posted on your results........

plemty of sat. fats in red meat.......2% milk is def. not necessary......

I would NOT replace your red meat and chicken selections with oats......thats for sure.
 
JKurz1 said:
;)


Keep us posted on your results........

plemty of sat. fats in red meat.......2% milk is def. not necessary......

I would NOT replace your red meat and chicken selections with oats......thats for sure.

Yeh I'm going to use skim instead and I reduced the milk consumption by like 1\2.....

I'm going to keep the meats the same as in the original post...

Even bought some fish oils today :)

This will start tomorrow morning..I will put some updates in the training section...hopefully put my training journal in there as well...
 
JKurz1 said:
Lose the cheerios in both meals........replace the am ones with another 1/2 cup of oats and the pm ones with some almonds or peanuts.

you got enough fat with the eggs and fish oils in meal one. Lose the 2% and either mix your oats in water and add in a protein scoop, or use skim/1%

the pasta and orange juice need to be dumped in your 3rd meal. I'd either use brown rice or a sweet potatoe. If you want pasta, use 100% whole wheat or a couple slice of bread. The juice can be replaced with H20.

I'd switch the PW shake to post workout and have a solid meal about an hr after. Maybe add in the gluc. instead of the OJ. Substitute the mashed potatoes with a yam or even sweet potatoes.

...most of the food I picked because I have experience eating it and know I can stomach eating it at those levels. I'm gonna need some rationale if I'm gonna change so many of the foods to ones that I don't enjoy as much.
 
Anthrax said:
I would replace some chicken with red meat
and cheerios with oat meal

BTW, how much do you weigh ?
and are you juicing ?

Appreciate the comments. Chicken cause it's cheap, cheerios because I can eat tons of them when I'm already full. But I will switch it up with oatmeal some days.

Weigh 160 right now... not juicing. Thought about running a moderate prohormone cycle, but then I read some stuff about how certain bones grow until you're 25 (I'm a little under 21) and it scared me a tad.

Also, to ChewYx -- You got it, I like 2%. It gives me a decent amount of fat without being whole-milk level disgusting. I've done bulking where I drank 8 glasses of milk a day. It worked but I farted like a frickin buffalo, that's why I toned it down to 4 glasses.
 
casualbb said:
...most of the food I picked because I have experience eating it and know I can stomach eating it at those levels. I'm gonna need some rationale if I'm gonna change so many of the foods to ones that I don't enjoy as much.
Dude....I just tried to help out........the foods I chose are more nutrionally sound than yours, hence better results......that's enough rationale for me, but you are more than free to do as you chose. At 160, you should be eating everything tht isnt nailed down anyways........
 
First Synpax, then me, and now Casual. "v. 1.0" haha, goodshit.

The diet looks solid man. I know you're an ecto, so you need all that food and then some. I wouldn't do the milk thing, but mainly because I love water so much now and milk is supposedly unhealthy for you.

I wouldn't really change anything. You are a casual bodybuilder, like your name implies, so no reason to take it to such lengths that it makes you unhappy. If you like eating the pasta and Cheerios, then man, do it. I agree with JKurz that his choices are more nutritionally sound and would probably provide for better results, but I don't think it means that much to you that you'll go and make yourself miserable.
 
Milk is a staple, but just move it to the low-fat cariety..........you have plenty of sat. fats, no need for additional.....
 
Only comments I can make is I would keep the high carb meals as low in fats as possible and I would cut the carbs out a few hours before bedtime. All in all it looks solid.
 
bigp3 said:
Only comments I can make is I would keep the high carb meals as low in fats as possible and I would cut the carbs out a few hours before bedtime. All in all it looks solid.


Actually, it's been proven time and time again that the whole carb late night theory is shotty...........Esp. if you train in the evening............It's all based on caloric intake and outake that will dictate whether you store fat or not......I include carbs prob. abot 30min. before bed, with no ill effects. I keep them to the non-starch variety, but still include them.

Also, IMHO, the carb + fat theory is a joke too. Maybe it's just be, but I have pro.,carbs, and fats in every meal, except PW (not fats)............not a flame, just my thoughts...............
 
JKurz1 said:
Milk is a staple, but just move it to the low-fat cariety..........you have plenty of sat. fats, no need for additional.....


Depends on the diet you're following. Right now 35% of my calories come from fat. About 30% of that is saturated. I feel great.

I believe the traditional bodybuilder "low-fat" diet is outdated.
 
casualbb said:
Here's my bulking diet based on the sort of foods I can picture myself eating. Thanks to everyone for their help, notably Debaser and bigdho for posting a lot of sample foods. Your input really helped me organize this in my head. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!

5 Meals total, not including pre-workout shake
With each meal: 1 glass water

Meal 1: Breakfast
-4 Eggs, boiled
-6 oz. Chicken
-1 bowl cheerios w/1 cup 2% milk
-another cup of 2% milk
----Supplements
-2 fish oil tablets for 2g of EFA’s

Calories: 900
P/C/F: 90, 60, 30

Meal 2: Lunch
-4 oz. Chicken
-1/2 cup oats
-2 tblspoon peanut butter
-1 cup 2% milk
-1 cup broccoli

Calories: 850
P/C/F: 70, 80, 30

Meal 3: Mid-afternoon snack (4:00 PM)
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 cup orange juice
-1/2 cup Ravioli, meat-filled, with tomato sauce
----Supplements:
-Creatine

Calories: 500
P/C/F: 45, 45, 13

**If workout day, Add: Pre-workout**
-1 additional cup orange juice
-1 scoop optimum whey

Calories: 225
P/C/F: 23/30/2

Meal 4: Dinner, Post-workout
-8 oz. Beef/chicken/fish
-1 cup mashed potatos
-1 cup broccoli
-2 cups 2% milk
-Dessert (200 cal or less)

Calories: 1000
P/C/F: 90/120/40

Meal 5: Before bed
-4 oz. Chicken
-1 banana
-1 bowl cheerios w/1 cup 2% milk
-Another cup 2% milk
-1 cup broccoli
----Supplements:
-2 fish oil tablets


Calories: 720
P/C/F: 75/75/15

Non-workout day totals:
Total Calories: 3950-4000
Total grams P/C/F: 370/380/130
Calories from Protein: 1480
Calories from Carb: 1520
Calories from Fat: 1175
Macronutrient ratios, Carb/Protein/Fat: 38/37/25 (almost 40/30/30)

Workout day totals:
Total Calories: 4200
Total Grams P/C/F: 390/395/132
Calories from Protein: 1560
Calories from Carb: 1580
Calories from Fat: 1188
Macronutrient ratios, Carb/Protein/Fat: 39/38/23

Glad I could help bro! All in all the diet looks good. One thing I think someone mentioned it already, your pwo meal...try to use a pro shake with dextrose or vitargo then about 60-90 min later eat your meal you had laid out. If you can stomach it ensted of juice and protien have a tunapple cocktail for your pre workout meal. Just a thought. Your good either way, good luck :)
 
JKurz1 said:
Actually, it's been proven time and time again that the whole carb late night theory is shotty...........Esp. if you train in the evening............It's all based on caloric intake and outake that will dictate whether you store fat or not......I include carbs prob. abot 30min. before bed, with no ill effects. I keep them to the non-starch variety, but still include them.

Also, IMHO, the carb + fat theory is a joke too. Maybe it's just be, but I have pro.,carbs, and fats in every meal, except PW (not fats)............not a flame, just my thoughts...............

No flame taken bro. I think it depends a lot on your body and metabolism. My training partner can basically eat whatever and still stay lean and I have found that there is no way in hell I get away with it.

As for the whole calorie is a calorie is a calorie theory (aka thermogenic principle) this has recently been proven to be bunk. It was shown that certain combinations of Macronutrients and individual Macronutrients have a net effect on how many calories are actually metabolized by your body.

With the carbs not being mixed with fats this also tends to be reliant on your body. Different people have different insulin reactions to the varying GI carbs they take in. Those of us who tend to gain body fat easily are typically produce more insulin than someone who does not have this problem. This is the reason why it is safe to avoid mixing carbs with fats.

Hope this answers your questions about these things. You may be one of those lucky freaks that I am jealous of that could eat big macs all day long and get hard and big,,,, LOL... But man, I know I am not and I would bet a lot of people on here aren't.
 
The thing about carb and fat mixing, is that at the frequency of meals we're eating as bodybuilders, many times we're eating before the food from the previous meal is done digesting. Especially if you're using those great low GI carbs like oats. That stuff takes hours for the blood sugar effects to finally go away. If by that time you're already onto your protein + fat meal, well you'll store some of the fat.

I think it's best not to worry about it and just balance things. The only time where I specifically tried to weight any one of the meals is pre- and post-workout with the OJ and sugars to help refill glycogen.
 
this is true but what we are trying to do is minimize the amount of bodyfat your body stores. We all know bodybuilding is a game of inches and small things can make big differences....
 
bigp3 said:
this is true but what we are trying to do is minimize the amount of bodyfat your body stores. We all know bodybuilding is a game of inches and small things can make big differences....


That really is the problem with the way too many people think. It's NOT a game of inches UNTIL you are in contest-prep mode. Until you ar 6 weeks from stepping on stage, then things change dramaticlly and every morsel of food counts. I see wayy too many f-ing people worry so much about there diet, that they don't make any gains. AS long as you have the basic idea, and a SOLID meal plan in place, moderation is everything.........the whole carb/fats or whatever is not going to make a noticiable difference...........

Casual, eat until you are comfortably full............then in 2-3 hours, eat again. Keep that furnace stocked with the proper nutrients and you will see nice results.......you can NOT get fat in a week. If you notice gains in the wrong places, that manipulate your diet accordingly.........
 
Hey guys, I'm trying to re-ignite the serious diet flame here, and I noticed that casual's diet is getting high acclaim (mostly). I'm a significantly smaller guy (5'6" 140) and I'm hoping not to be any more. Using his diet as a template, what adjustments can you recommend?

Thanx all
 
Soul... you need to figure out, based on experience, how many calories you're going to shoot for.

Almost all of the meals I've planned are balanced. A nifty side effect of this is that the diet is very easily scalable. Say you want only 3500 calories, kill the midafternoon snack and leave everything else the same. Or you can reduce an equal amount from each dish of one of the meals, reducing calorie count but maintaining overall ratios. There are a lot of options for tweakage.
 
casualbb said:
Almost all of the meals I've planned are balanced. A nifty side effect of this is that the diet is very easily scalable.

Thanks casual, that's just what I was hoping to hear. I'm not sure that I know from experience how many calories per day I should be consuming, since all my experience is with eating too few. Some calculations I've done suggest I should be shooting for around 3000, so I'm going to start there.

I have another question though, and this is for anyone. About the shake: initially you suggested a pre-workout shake made with orange juice, then later Jkurz recommended switching it to post-workout. On other threads I've seen the claim that we should get protein and low GI carbs before, and protein and high GI carbs after. If I'm going to drink a shake pre-workout, shouldn't it be made with water and something less sugary? And if I'm going to drink it after, then the sugar is fine, but why drink it then at all?
 
Last edited:
IMO 3000 is not even enough to bulk,,, I get below 3500 now I lose weight in a hurry
 
I don't actually put the whey in the oj, I drink them separately (vanillia whey in OJ? blech)

The sugars are to keep me energetic during the workout.

With respect to protein, whey before, meat after. I'd explain why you take the shake before the workout but I've already done that a ton of times. Search "protein phenylalanine" and my username to see the rationale.
 
casualbb said:
I don't actually put the whey in the oj, I drink them separately (vanillia whey in OJ? blech)

The sugars are to keep me energetic during the workout.

With respect to protein, whey before, meat after. I'd explain why you take the shake before the workout but I've already done that a ton of times. Search "protein phenylalanine" and my username to see the rationale.

That's definitely a satisfying explanantion. Maybe it doesn't mean much, but that's what I had been doing (shake and OJ before, meal after) since I heard about that same phenylalanine study a couple months ago. I just wanted to know why YOU do it, since there's a good chance you know more about this than I do.

thanks casual

To bigp3, are you sure 3000 cals is not enough, even for a guy who's only 5'6" and 140 to begin with?
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom