Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you train for Size AND Strenth at the same time?

blood_drinker said:
I think this question is originating from a post I saw a while ago, which explained

1-3 reps= strenght , but v/ little hypertrophy.
6-8 = hypertrophy, ok strength
10-20 reps= strength, no hypertrophy.

it was something like this. is this true alex?
if so i think i could find it....

Yeh except 10-20 reps is hypertrophy/no strenth.

What Valdez said was very true. However, if you haven't been lifting very long then those techniques are not such a good idea as they'll just lead to rapid overtraining.

the point I guess I was incinuating is that high reps do not necessarily mean that you are using light weight. by extending a set you are putting the muscle under more stress and will produce more hypertrophy (in theory)

what i use to do is 4 sets of 10 reps. on bench, incline, and decline.

That was when i first started the gym about 2 monthes ago, i thought i would get stronger doing this, WRONG

i was told by many big guys there that doing less reps of more weight will get you stronger, while more reps or less weight will do crap. being inexperienced, i listened to them. now i do 3 sets of 2-5 reps. at very high weights, of course i need a spotter, been doing this for 2 weeks now. i hope i get great results.

Last edited:
Actually the ideal might be high with high weight. This is probably easier to achieve on leg exercises for most people. I've done 12 reps with 425 lbs on the squat, and 15 with 350 lbs on the leg extension- does this build size, but not strength? Of course not. I hhave found that this is harder to do on upper body movements where I fatigue faster- probably due to more white fast twicth fibers and less red slow twitch.
Here the conventional numbers given above seem to hold.

WizKid25 If you your going to go that low on reps.......you better change the amount of sets.........to about 10.......yes TEN. im not shitting you.

The rep range always effects the sets you do.

the more reps you do the less set you do......and visa versa.

Remember if your gonna do low rep range sets.........you betta bring some magazines.

3-5 min rests between sets.

blood_drinker........that was a post from me ages ago.

the middle range is the best COMPROMISE...i think that is the best way to say it

ALSO

when you first starting out......you will gain strength and size from doing anything. helping load a bar will pack on mass.

So i believe when you start out stick with the 12 reps 3-4 sets.

so your stabalizers get a chance to build up.

you dont wanna be doint 1RM 2months in. whats the phone number for an ambulance?

Top Bottom