Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can you over work your muscles.

Lynchy

Whenever I hit the gym I usually stay for an hour or less. In that time I try to do as much as possible and go home when I physically can not do anymore weights. Is that bad for your muscles?

Bad? No. But it does mean you're training to near absolute failure ("failure" can be both relative, as in the end rep of a particular set - or absolute, where the muscle needs sufficient time to recover before it's working capacity is restored)... This isn't bad if you're diet and rest regime are spot on...

But if you're not getting 8 good sleep hours a night, and all the calories and macro's of a proper diet - training this way, with ultra-high intensity - can lead to burn out or overtraining faster. Basically, take your days off, get you sleep, and eat properly and it's no big deal, even beneficial to gains... Fail in this, and your gains will suffer.

And yes, if you're talking about an inability to use your muscular strength for <1 hr post workout, it's likely due to a combination of factors including: Lactic Acid (local acidity can hinder the efficiency of proton pumps and can reduce contractile strength, frequency and capacity) neural adaptation (neurons themselves, as in the case of DOMS, signal inflammation and pain and reduce the working capacity of the muscle) and phosphate overload (a term I'm coining right now as I cannot remember the correct phrasing for it, whereby phosphate-family metabolites build up in tissues and contribute to the burning and reduced work capacity a stressed muscle feels).

Top Bottom