Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bulgarian Training

themondtster

Your thoughts on it or any other intense training program/routine. Has anyone tried it or does your routine seem similar?

From what I have seen there are different types from everyday, several times a day to a split that maxes out each time then drops off to 80% of daily max for 8-10 working sets. I've come across a dozen variations but all seem very intense. Would love to get to that level one day.
From My Droid!

An example of an Olympic lifting routine. No way I have this kind of time to dedicate to it.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

9am – 12pm: snatch to heavy single; half-hour break; clean and jerk to heavy single; half hour break; front squat to heavy single.

They may also include back-off sets (singles of course) in the 90% range of whatever the heavy single was. (When I say up to a heavy single, I mean full-on as if it were a contest. Keep going up till you miss, then try it again.)

3pm to 6pm: same as morning.

9pm: Front squat to heavy single.

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Same as Monday, but only do power versions (or light full versions). Also, dump the evening front squats.

Sunday

9am: Front squats to heavy single.

Yep, every day – even the Sabbath

Most things I've read say that most who use these techniques no matter what country/sport are usually on cycle.
From My Droid!

Heres one adapted towards weightlifting. I'd like to try it one day. Seems intense to hit maxes each week.

In their "heavy" sessions Bulgarian lifters will build up to their daily max. This max is not an end in itself, rather it is the starting point of their training: the daily max is used to calculate the training load for the rest of the day. Once a lifter reaches his max, he backs down 25-40lbs and do 3-5 sets of 2-3 reps. Those are the money sets! With this form of training your daily session is always adapted to your present capacities.

Bulgarian wave loading parameters

Sets 1 - 3: Warm-ups with a load lower than 60% of the competition max/personal record

Sets 4 - 7: Work up to the daily 1 rep maximum

Sets 8-9: Daily max - 40lbs for 3 reps

Sets 10-12: Daily max - 25lbs for 2 reps

They will use this form of loading for 3 daily exercises. On "lighter" days they will do technique work with a relatively light load (60-70%). They will not have a precise number of sets to do. They do 3 different exercises, allocating 15-20 minutes per exercise and they do however many sets they feel comfortable doing that day. This is not unlike Charles Staley’s EDT, and it is also a technique used by Canadian weightlifting coach Pierre Roy.

It is not a method limited to the Olympic lifts. If anything it works better for basic strength lifts like the squat, bench press and Deadlift.

Bulgarian loading is for strength gains, not for size gains. Athletes seeking a boost in their strength without too much bodyweight gain will be well served by the method.

A typical modified Bulgarian strength program

Day 1. Hard session

A. Power clean from hang

Sets 1 - 3: Warm-ups with a load lower than 60% of the competition max/personal record

2 minutes of rest between sets.

10 minutes break between exercise A. and exercise B.

B. Back squat

10 minutes break between exercise B. and exercise C.

C. 1/2 rack Deadlift

Sets 1- 3: Warm-ups with a load lower than 60% of the competition max/personal record

Day 2. Easy session

A. Bench press

3-4 reps

60-70% of maximum

15 minutes, do as many sets as you feel comfortable doing

B. Push press

3-4 reps

60-70% of maximum

15 minutes do as many sets as you feel comfortable doing

C. Incline press

3-4 reps

60-70% of maximum

Day 3. Easy session

A. Power clean from hang

3-4 reps

60-70% of maximum

B. Romanian Deadlift

3-4 reps

60-70% of maximum

C. Barbell rowing

3-4 reps

60-70% of maximum

Day 4. Hard session

A. Bench press

B. Push press

C. Close grip bench press

Training Split

Ideally you would follow this split:

Monday: Day 1

Tuesday: Day 2

Wednesday: off

Thursday: Day 3

Friday: Day 4

Saturday: off

Sunday: off

This will allow for maximum recovery between hard sessions and as a result, constant progress!

The choice of exercise is up to you, depending on your goals you may want to vary exercise selection. But the important thing is to understand the concept. And do no forget to use both hard and easy sessions!

From My Droid!

"Here's another. I believe its derived from Russian powerlifting training."

Pure Power Routine

This workout is designed with competitive powerlifters in mind, but it will be equally effective for beginning lifters who need to use a full body workout or for bodybuilders at any level who have only trained with repetition workouts to this point. The bottom line, however, is that it’s a good all around routine for anyone who wants to focus on strength and power alone. You perform the workout three times a week. The most popular schedule is Monday, Wednsday and Friday.

Workout 1: Dynamic and Repetition

Speed squats 10 x 2
Speed benches 8 x 3
Power cleans 6 x 3
Chinups 4 x 6-8
Parallel bar dips 3 x 8-10
Hanging leg raises 3 x 20

Workout 2: Light and Recovery

Front squats 8 x 3
Explosive rep pushups 8 x 3 Pullovers 3 x 10
Cable Curls 3 x 10
Steep-incline situps 3 x 20

Workout 3: Heavy and Maximum effort

Bottom position squats or sumo deadlifts 5-8 x 1 - 3
Bottom position bench presses, rack lockouts or incline presses 5-8 x 1 - 3
Bent over rows 4 x 6 - 8
Skull crushers 3 x 10
Barbell curls 3 x 10
Hanging leg raises 3 x 20
From My Droid!

So no comments or opinions?...oh well. I believe I'm going to try the Bulgarian strength training in a couple months. The one where you work up to you mac then drip down. Four days a week...two heavy and two light.

From My Droid!

Top Bottom