Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Birth control pills and weight gain

Yasmin is good for what you're describing because the progesterone it contains supposedly has good antiandrogenic properties as does Desogen (desogestrel). But the bottom line is that different pills work differently for different women and it is near impossible to predict who will have what effect. Pills primarily increase weight because the amount of estrogen contained (and necessary) to shut down the Hypothalamic release of FSH and pulsatile GnRH is more than physiologic amount of estrogen found in the human body and, as male BB's will tell you, estrogen causes water retention. Progesterone also can have this effect.

:fro:

thebabydoc said:
Yasmin is good for what you're describing because the progesterone it contains supposedly has good antiandrogenic properties as does Desogen (desogestrel). But the bottom line is that different pills work differently for different women and it is near impossible to predict who will have what effect. Pills primarily increase weight because the amount of estrogen contained (and necessary) to shut down the Hypothalamic release of FSH and pulsatile GnRH is more than physiologic amount of estrogen found in the human body and, as male BB's will tell you, estrogen causes water retention. Progesterone also can have this effect.

:fro:

True. But you forgot to mention that progesterone is
more lipolytic than estrogen.

Fonz

I have tried the pill before, but I didn't gain any weight. I actually lost weight. However, I can't say that I was happy with my pills, because they made me feel funny.
I had headaches and chest pains so I took them back to the doctor and she said that their was nothing wrong with me or my pills. So I just stopped taking them, and have been afraid to try them since. The symptoms disappeared once I stopped taking them.
Has anybody else had that experience?

I have to agree with LittleGirl

I got a copper IUD inserted 3 years ago and it's been wonderful. I couldn't remember to take those damn pills everyday to save my life. It was a constant cycle of forgetting it for 3 days, waiting for my period to arrive (sometimes months later!!) and then getting back on the pill the following Sunday. It played with my hormones so badly (oh my poor body).

The IUD cost me $400 out of pocket (insurance didn't cover it) but it has been so wonderful I would have paid 3x that amount.

Best yet is the fact that I don't have to worry about replacing it for another 5+ years (HURRAY!!)

I'll sing the praises of the IUD to anyone, anytime!!

VDL

Top Bottom