Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Gates's donations....

nugget said:
Except most of the funds spent by the foundation for use in places such as africa are not given to agencies in the countries, but rather spent on goods with purpose. They donate computer equipment for schools and medical supplies generally.

doens't matter. if a bunch of computers are coming into kenya - they slap a $2000 'tax' on each item, and each volunteer who comes to install it, has to pay outrageous fees for visas, hotel stays, taxis, etc. All billed to the charity.

Out of every $1 live aid gathered, prolly only 5c was spent on the actual starving african.

the foundation is used as a tax-write off. Makes sense. Why give a few hundred million to the govt to waste away - when you can make a foundation and give it away yourself. If i think i'll owe money at the end of the year - i donate to charities too.

mkazzbmf said:
Look at the amount of money he is dropping.......I wish that he would put resources like that into technology and quantum physics research....Much of that money and medicine is going to be stolen by 3rd world war lords and Gov officials....We could use that money here.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/truegrowth/gates1.html

Kaz

What Gates is doing is brilliant by long term planning. By promoting healthcare, education, sanitation, clean water & information technology in the developing world he is helping to build their economies and scientific base of the world. A world of healthy, financially secure, literate people is very important for everyone.

In the 1970s over 60% of Chinese people lived on less than $1/day. Now China, due to record economic growth is becoming a major research hub of earth. China does tons of research that is going to be and already is important to western life including research on alternative energy and an AIDS vaccine. Gates is trying to do the same thing, he is trying to increase the standard of living & economies of poor countries which is not only humane but increases the talent pool that humanity can call upon. A world where everyone is literate, financially secure and healthy is better than one where 15% of the world is and 85% arent. By doing so he is improving all of humanity as the 21st century will be a century of ideas. I think every dollar spent on developing world infrastructure provides about $7 in economic growth.

Point being, Gates is increasing the scientific base of the world. Perhaps some impovrished kid from Africa will grow up to be a theoretical physicist in 2030 if his country has good infrastructure. If his country has shitty infrastructure, no education, no healthcare, no roads, etc he could die in childhood or grow up to be a frustrated & bored farmer.

The US already spends about $300 billion a year on scientific R&D and the world spends close to a trillion on scientific R&D annually, Gates throwing another 3-5 billion a year at it wont matter much.

Research has been done into how to combat and avoid corruption. Gates isn't going to throw money at Mugabe's government, all the info I've read on him says he is very hands on and results oriented.

Lao Tzu said:
What Gates is doing is brilliant by long term planning. By promoting healthcare, education, sanitation, clean water & information technology in the developing world he is helping to build their economies and scientific base of the world. A world of healthy, financially secure, literate people is very important for everyone.

In the 1970s over 60% of Chinese people lived on less than $1/day. Now China, due to record economic growth is becoming a major research hub of earth. China does tons of research that is going to be and already is important to western life including research on alternative energy and an AIDS vaccine. Gates is trying to do the same thing, he is trying to increase the standard of living & economies of poor countries which is not only humane but increases the talent pool that humanity can call upon. A world where everyone is literate, financially secure and healthy is better than one where 15% of the world is and 85% arent. By doing so he is improving all of humanity as the 21st century will be a century of ideas. I think every dollar spent on developing world infrastructure provides about $7 in economic growth.

Point being, Gates is increasing the scientific base of the world. Perhaps some impovrished kid from Africa will grow up to be a theoretical physicist in 2030 if his country has good infrastructure. If his country has shitty infrastructure, no education, no healthcare, no roads, etc he could die in childhood or grow up to be a frustrated & bored farmer.

The US already spends about $300 billion a year on scientific R&D and the world spends close to a trillion on scientific R&D annually, Gates throwing another 3-5 billion a year at it wont matter much.

Research has been done into how to combat and avoid corruption. Gates isn't going to throw money at Mugabe's government, all the info I've read on him says he is very hands on and results oriented.

we have to look to foreigners for intellectual talent - cuz our own kids are too busy fucking around on myspace, partying like girls gone wild, dealing meth, and joining gangs. Todays' generation will be known as the 'burger flipping' generation.

My sister is in charge of dispersing funds in Africa. It goes to where it is supposed to.

Razorguns said:
we have to look to foreigners for intellectual talent - cuz our own kids are too busy fucking around on myspace, partying like girls gone wild, dealing meth, and joining gangs. Todays' generation will be known as the 'burger flipping' generation.

LMAO, yes and no. Some of the best universities are in the US. UC Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, Harvard. Ang I'd wager 50-80% of their students are domestic.

And foreigners work harder because they have no options. For them it is eitehr get into MIT or work on a farm. FOr those of us in the US it is get into MIT, or just go somewhere else. Most foreigners I've met in college hate their home countries and how hard they push academics, but they feel they have no free will in the situation.

Razorguns said:

LOL Generation "Supersizeme" eh?

Sad but probably true.

i hire almost entirely foreigners. the americans around me, the young ones, their morals, work ethic, knowledge, arrogance is pathetic. when i was 23, i was already running a whole dept.

Top Bottom