Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench technique question - thx.

Eno

Okay I read this under training tips to increase bench press.. i'd like some feedback from some experienced benchers.. (300+)..

use the elbows against lats technique, your elbows should never be perpindicular to your body, they should caress your body as you lower the bar.

now i definitely don't go perpindicular but the elbows don't really graze (or caress for that matter :)) my body when i lower the bar either. if they did, wouldn't i be reduced to the same weight i basically do with close-grip bench for tri's? thanks for any feedback you guys can give me.

If you want to handle BIG weight on the bench you should keep your elbows tucked. This maximizes the triceps and lat involvement...and limits the pecs. To effectively implement this technique you should bring the bar down to your upper abs not your pecs. And you should press the bar in a straight line...not in a J back to the rack. Combining all these techniques will shorten the stroke. Which will make it much easier to LIFT BIG.

If you want your bench to go up you only have to do two things...
1 Gain Weight
2 Train Triceps

Good Luck

True true! But dont worry so much about being text booked tucked. I tuck, but i too am not caressing my body. Just dont push with them parallel to the floor. Try to feel like your bending the bar in half. And like hannibal said work those tri's. That is the key to a big bench first off. Then work those lats.

I've seen all the west side videos, and read most of the articles on correct form and I still don't keep my tucked in to my sides. It's just not natural for me. I'm not out perpendicular to my body, but I'm pretty damn close. I don't worry too much about it. It's just different strokes for different folks.
For reference at last contest I lifted 500lbs at 250lbs. in a single ply shirt.

I agree with Zombie eater. I tried tucking but I just couldn't handle the weight I was doing before. I don't worry about it. I try to keep very tight in the back and just do it. In a shirt I do bring it to the upper abs because thats where the groove is for me. Raw on the other hand goes where ever it goes. It doesn't matter if I get a good lift.

Well I've been watching all the downloadable videos of benching that I could find and it seems that most high-level benchers are definitely tucking their elbows in - however, none of them were doing it to the extent where their elbows were grazing their bodies.. thanks for all the responses.

Top Bottom