Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Article on ABS!!!!

I had an article ready to publish for Total Elite on Core Strengh for Powerlifters but never got it up due to moving. I'll see if i'll beable to republish it within this wk or so.

Kc

XtremePowerLifter2000 said:
I had an article ready to publish for Total Elite on Core Strengh for Powerlifters but never got it up due to moving. I'll see if i'll beable to republish it within this wk or so.

Kc

I'd love to see that.

CoolColJ said:
to be fair situps only activate the abs staticly :)

But that's all you need to train them for

Can you give me a more indepth example of what you are talking about. I'm pretty interested.

B True

louden_swain said:
I saw the title of the thread and thought it was an article on anti-lock brake systems. . I guess I am out of luck lol.

lol I thought that exact same thing

b fold the truth said:

Can you give me a more indepth example of what you are talking about. I'm pretty interested.

B True

Well crunches actually work the front ab wall through a full ROM, that's what they do. But you never need to flex the spine in that way for core strength and stabilisation, you just need to be strong when the spin is neutral in a static position. That's why situps and leg raises etc work better.

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/270spine.jsp

http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/271spine.jsp

Also among the misperceptions that I hear out there about the rectus abdominis, and upper vs. lower abdominals, is that you’ve got to work the rectus throughout its range of motion. Again these might be muscle physiologists speaking but not people who are cognizant of spinal mechanics. For example, when you look at the architecture of the rectus, it’s a muscle with four heads, four contractile components each separated by a lateral tendon.

If it was a muscle designed to work through its full range of motion it would be one long continuous muscle—but it’s not. It anchors the obliques and transmits the hoop stresses laterally through those lateral tendons. If it wasn’t beaded, the oblique forces would rip it apart laterally. In many elite performances the abdominals contract isometrically. Too many bad backs are created by misinformed people thinking they need to train the rectus with repeated full flexion exercises. There are much better and safer ways to do this.

So again if we’re training athletes to perform, the question is do they need to work the lumbar spine through a full range of motion? Lumbar flexibility often increases the risk of future chronicity! For example, I’ve worked with some very good discus throwers and you’d think that discus throwing would require a huge amount of twist in someone’s back. In fact, if you take the twist out of the training, stabilize and lock the ribcage onto the pelvis, and twist through the legs and shoulders, you may actually enhance performance. Certainly it may be required to reduce back symptoms.

Other performance requirements include variables like speed, agility and/or strength for example; all three of these things require stability, perhaps keeping a line of drive down the torso and through the feet into the ground, etc. A stiffened core may be optimal. So, of course this whole issue depends on the person and the task. But in many cases from both performance and safety perspectives, it’s a bit of a myth that the spine needs to be trained through its range of motion.

I gotcha CCJ. I just didn't understand the terms that you were using at first. Pretty sure that I agree with you too. I actually do my abs in 3 fashions...one with a rounded back for more contraction and another with a neutral spinal position...and the last with an arch.

B True

Top Bottom