Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Any personal trainers up? Please Read!

Freak Show

So I come in to train my client. He's 62 and in pretty good shape for someone his age. Plays raquetball a couple times per week and golf also. Has lifted weights with his son for years and now has been working with me for the last 4 weeks or so. I've kept it simple. A two day split. We do legs and back on one day and Chest, shoulders, tris on the other. Only like 2 sets of each for 10-12 reps. We go to start today with dumbbell bench press with 30lb dumbbells (a weight he's used in the past) He goes to press it up and lets out a yelp and drops the dbells. Says he feels like he pulled his shoulder. I do some quick assessment and it appears to be an external rotator. We stopped. Told him to go home and ice it and relax. I asked him what he had done different lately. He says nothing. Then he says, 'I played raquetball 5 times last week plus golfing.' I'm thinkin this was bound to happen. What do you guys think? Should I be worried? Some times I wonder if this job is worth it. I'm surrounded by idiots and pussies(and I ain't talkin about the good kind).

Last edited:
If he is in this kind of pain, he needs to discontinue training & see a phy therapist or Dr asap. On anyone reporting past shoulder pain or surgery, I always eliminate overhead movements from the program. (better to be safe). At 62, there is no telling what kind of abuse his shoulder has already endured- golfing most likely aggravating the problem. Shoulders, involved in most everyting we do in everyday activities, heal slowly- sometimes never heal completely.
Good luck.

I'd be worried.

The idiot part is right. That's why I never got into that business. I've never heard of it happening but has anyone ever sued their Personal Trainer?

Actually if he sues, I think it'll be the club that gets sued. Of course I'd be involved, but I doubt this'll go that far.

I started part time. I love working with people. Fortunately for me I've not run into any Idiots yet. Just a bunch of weak ass yuppies looking to get in shape.

You cant Pull a muscle on the way up. It's possible he got a case of rotator cup tendonitis. Usually happens with incline or decline press. But I bet this dude injured it playing racquetball.

Top Bottom