Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Am I Paranoid? Need Advice

FitFossil

Sorry this is off topic, but I need some level-headed advice. My husband and I are supposed to go on vacation to Maine tomorrow. With all that's happening, I'm scared as hell. We're supposed to fly into and out of Boston (where the two WTC planes were hijacked). Not to mention the fact they suspect some of the highjackers had actually come through Portland, Maine. We're staying in Bar Harbor, but still...

I know my husband is looking forward to the trip and we have reservations for hotels, car, etc. I'm thinking even if we try to go, it's going to be hell in the airport because of all the people still trying to get home, and who knows if there are any rental cars even left up there. We're checking on all that today. They cancelled today's flight of the same one we're supposed to take tomorrow from Atlanta to Boston (not sure why, maybe no one would fly...)

I'm sort of a natural worrier anyway, but just thinking about this trip (flying, being in the Boston/Maine area) is making me ill. He's ex-military, so either he's not worried or not letting it get in the way of living his life. His philosophy is more like "I could just as easily die at home as on vacation". I'm more like 'why put yourself in danger if you don't really have to'. I haven't discussed with him my (growing) fears about this.

What would you guys do? Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
That's a hard one as many people are still stranded at airports since before all the fun began. Another hijacking is a possibility, but probably remote. Sure you can always die here or there -- you don't usually get to choose the location if its going to happen. But in the meantime. you could spend more of your vacation trying to get there and back than actually vacationing. Could be more stress than its worth right now....?

If I were you I might decide to stay home. Of course, I do not have military training to help me decide what's safe or not so I would rather be more cautious.

Nearly every post is about this incident over at the chat board if you care to go over there....

Stay safe! I know we are all asking ourselves how to do this at this point..... The attack makes us realize how vunerable we are!

I would consider postponing a plane trip. I know life is to go on....and it will. But the airlines are such a mess right now.....most are still just restricting certain flights---trying to get the planes to their proper destinations from last tuesday.

The lines are going to be horrendous, with all the extra precaution taken for security reasons. And to get a rental car might almost be useless---especially for the area you are intending to go to.......

If you do go ( might not be able to change your husbands mind:) it could be possible you might have delays coming back home--with all the "copycat" garbage going on.......

Have a safe trip, if indeed you do go :)

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. It makes me feel better.

Logan Airport is closed today, and the website says it will remain closed until further notice.

I agree w/ you guys. Even if it were to reopen, I don't want to knowingly walk into a dangerous situation, but why even go and add 2 more people to the chaos, when we don't really have to?

Fit, I would tell any of my close friends in a similar position to go.

Yes, the time in the airport will rattle every single one of your nerves and be long and awful (bordering on hellish). But you are prepared and braced for it. I don't think it would be so bad for that reason. And when you remember why there is such chaos...

And most of all, I'd anticipate that the fellow air commuters would be amazingly, hearteningly, inspiringly patient and kind. Everyone is talking about that.

And you know what? I have been crying since Tuesday. Like everyone I know. The idea of some time in Maine.... I would say go, definitely. Like, if you were my sister, I'd seriously force you. ;-)

difficult decision right now... could be more hassle than a vacation.

I was considering going to the San Diego Zoo this weekend to get away from TV & endless reporting on the tragedy... but SD Zoo closed Thurs for the first time ever due to a bomb threat.

True, it was a false alarm... but still, makes one wonder what is really safe now

When it's your time to go, nothing is going to change it. Enjoy the vacation. Terrorism is just that, it puts fear in the minds of everyone and changes our behavior. When we let this happen, they win.

Bottom line:

Don't ever let those bastards get control of the plane. It's 5-10:1 and granted a few may die, but many, if not thousands more will survive if everyone works together to stop them before they get a chance to start.

W6

Other than the fact you may have to deal w/ delays...and long lines..I would go..Or maybe wait a bit till airports are running more smoothly and flights are back to normal schedule. We can't let them scare us to fly..work....and live. It is what they want...We have to go on and do what we normally do. We have suffered from a great loss...a terrible tragedy and something we will never forget...but it will bring us closer as a nation and make us stronger. We are not weak people....look at the thousands giving blood, donating money, volunteering etc. Its literally amazing and it shows you what Americans are made of...we took a hit but we will be the ones that win the battle!!

Top Bottom