Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ala & Eca

I certainly don't want to dispel the risk. However, the worry of hypoglycemic coma may carry it too far as the effects of ALA on insulin peaks out at the 600-800 mg per day dose. That does not explain whether there is an inherent blood glucose lowering effect with a higher dose, the purported anti-glycation effect that some like me maintain high doses can create. However, I will say this, the notion that hypoglycemia can occur is supported by the fact that, as a general rule, ketosis is more easily achieved and maintained with a higher dose. This raises the question: Where are the carbs going?

We can assume that the extra carbs are not being stored as bodyfat. We can also assume that they are not being readily converted to blood glucose. However, we must assume from experience of others that there is what some here refer to as a partitioning effect. This may create a lower blood glucose level in the body although by a different mechanism than the 600-800 mg per day range would effect.

With that being said I've found that there are a few people who have symptoms of hypoglycemia that likely have one of the following things in common:

--low bodyfat to begin with
--just started using ALA and immediately use high doses
--do an inordinate amount of cardio exercise
--history of blood sugar imbalance or other diseases

For those already on low carb diets, there may not be a need to do high dose ALA, since you're already in ketosis. However, ketosis itself is supplying a steady supply of blood glucose. Whether this supply is affected by ALA supplementation is theoretical. Perhaps yes. If it is, then it is very possible that you can go hypoglycemic.

The key in my opinion is to do an ALA high dose with a ramp up time. Get used to the large dose by increasing slowly. When you know you can handle it, then you may begin to experiment with a couple hundred mg on empty stomach. First sign of lethargy or tiredness, eat some sugar and do not do it again.

BackDoc said:

The key in my opinion is to do an ALA high dose with a ramp up time. Get used to the large dose by increasing slowly. When you know you can handle it, then you may begin to experiment with a couple hundred mg on empty stomach. First sign of lethargy or tiredness, eat some sugar and do not do it again.

Yes I noticed this the other day, I had taken 250mg on an empty stomach before a cheat meal and I felt really queasy and nauseous...thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

your all wrong, but I will argue this with the thread poster offline

since know one will listen

HighIntensity said:
your all wrong, but I will argue this with the thread poster offline

since know one will listen

Hey - I'll listen....I am very good at accepting criticism!

I'd like to hear your input!! Please post it High!

I am taking in about 30g of carbs a day with ALA for about 5 days now. I take 200mg with each meal. I have been on the diet for about a month now and wanted to throw the ala to see what it was all about.

I love the stuff. I had my cheat day yesterday/wedding anniversary and my wife picked macaroni grill. I can't tell her no because it is our anniversary. I had my ceasar salad, shrimp scampi with pasta and probably the equivialant of 2 slices of bread and cheesecake for desert. I only ate half of the pasta and scampi and hla f a piece of cheescake but I still felt bad for eating it. I took 300mg of ALA before hand and was back into Ketosis 4-5 hours after eating. I had a couple of medium carb meals the rest of the day as well and never really came out of Ketosis.

Last week on my cheat day I ate a lot cleaner and it took me 2 days to get back into Ketosis. I was not taking ALA and I think that is what helped me out. Also, for some reason.....when I have my cheat day I have to use the RESTROOM about an hour after eating every carb meal. I haven't seen any signs of the side affects you guys were talking about. I take 4 Ripped fuels a day as well.

I worked out/had a Myoplex shake w 24g of carbs at 4:30am and played basketball for about 2 hours from 6:30-8:30am and I am feeling great right now.

Top Bottom